General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

France

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 May 2017 19:14

So looks like Macron won....how much was a vote for him and how much a vote against her?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 May 2017 19:22

shame - if she had won then I think she would have taken France out of the EU

Kense

Kense Report 7 May 2017 19:36

Fortunately for the French they seem to know what that would mean.

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 7 May 2017 20:42

Lets hope this signals an end or at least a decline in the populist nationalist factions. France more than anyone knows what the far right means.

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 May 2017 20:46

I do not know, nor do I care how much was a vote 'for' him ( though I suspect it was considerable) ...but it was essential that it was a vote against her.

She is her father's daughter.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 7 May 2017 21:41

Delighted to see the fascist brought low, I love it when that happens

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 May 2017 22:26

She was obviously extreme enough said.....he though is an unknown in many ways...what is his party a year old and middle of the road? Will be interesting to say the least quite how you can so strongly predict what he will or won't do is interesting as there's no history to base it on. Time as always will tell.

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 May 2017 09:10

Well that'll be a first a politician that hasn't lied and is promising to do everything he says he will :-) I hope in many ways you're right Rollo as you'd be very disappointed if he doesn't. It will be fun him helping to negotiate Brexit, wasn't it only yesterday they were getting told by their own Lawyers they wouldn't have a leg to stand on when they keep asking for more and more money before they'd even talk about trade etc?

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 May 2017 11:15

We'll see Rollo.
Funny thing it seems almost half the youth didn't vote for him wonder what that means.
Interesting how many abstained or ruined their papers an example of "none of the above" we've mentioned in previous threads.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 May 2017 11:25

I don't 'know' but I assume this article has at least a fair view of how some of the young voters see it?

http://www.politico.eu/article/young-french-voters-wont-vote-protests-emmanuel-macron-marine-le-pen/

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 May 2017 11:58

Good article Nyx.

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 May 2017 12:20

No one is saying she should have won but it's interesting so many didn't vote for him.
When the youth didn't vote or have the "winning" vote with regards Brexit everyone said the future of the youth had been stolen........

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 May 2017 13:06

LOL the UK has never had any real friends in the EU on any level.

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 May 2017 13:37

The monster leaving bill that I already mentioned they have no legal power to enforce?

So I'm interested how are all of those countries you listed real friends?

Many of those countries like the UK money granted as does all of the EU.

Maddie

Maddie Report 8 May 2017 14:09

there are no friends in politics :-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 May 2017 14:17

Exactly Maddie no matter which country/party you are from.

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 May 2017 14:19

"It is difficult to get anybody in the UK to grasp what a low priority issue brexit is in the rest of the EU."

Really Rollo you can seriously say in the future they won't miss the UK money even just a little?

Their priorities have to be do they make cuts or increase their own spending as they can't carry on as usual.

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 May 2017 14:53

It was their own lawyers who said they didn't have a legal leg to stand on in demanding so much money to pay for future losses etc.

"The size of the contribution to the EU budget for Germany, the UK looks a lot as a figure but in reality is tiny - about £ 3 per houshold per week fir the UK."
Sorry are you saying they won't miss the UK money in the future as it's peanuts to them?....then why are they asking for money to cover upto what was it 2020 for the farmers?

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 May 2017 14:54

"The Germans assess the bigbill at around £ 40 bn not the more extravagent figures."

So Germany calls the shots?

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 May 2017 15:30

Yes can you?