General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another part of history goes

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 4 Jan 2018 19:47

Dear All

Hello

Mustard maker Colman's is to leave its base in Norwich where the condiment has been produced for 160 years.

The company,which employs 113 people at its site in the city, will move its production to Burton-on-Trent and Germany.

The firm, which has been making mustard at the site since 1858, became part of Unilever's Van Den Bergh Foods in 1995.

Unilever said in a statement it recognised it would be "difficult news" for staff and the people of Norwich but added it was "committed to supporting" its employees.

The factory is due to close at the end of next year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr Jeremiah James Colman established the Norwich factory in 1858 after his
great-uncle Jeremiah started a mustard and flour business
in nearby Stoke Holy Cross in 1814.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One woman said:

"My great-grandfather was the first janitor Colman's ever had,
my grandfather was security and then my father worked for them,
so it's a great sadness."

Another said: "It's just a bit of Norwich history just gone - it's what made Norwich."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not only have employees lost their jobs but a long tradition of manufacturing, a part of the community goes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take gentle care
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 4 Jan 2018 19:59

Very sad Elizabeth :-( :-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Jan 2018 22:58

It's a shame - but apparently, the powdered mustard will still be produced in Norwich.
Cadbury's, and Colman's should have declared themselves a Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) status - similar to Melton Mowbray Pork Pies.
In other words, Cadbury's chocolate can only be produced in Birmingham, to the Cadbury's recipe (it's horrible since Kraft took it over), and Colman's mustard can only be produced in Norwich.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Jan 2018 01:22

We haven't been able to buy Colman's Dry Mustard for many years here, only Keen's Mustard

Allan

Allan Report 5 Jan 2018 03:29

Thank you, Sylvia.

Same here in Western Oz :-(

I've tried making some cheese straws recently with Keen's, and I might well have not bothered. Keen's does not have the same 'bite' as Coleman's.

I've had to substitute my own curry powder in the recipe (Be-Ro baking book :-D) but not every one likes the taste :-(

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 5 Jan 2018 04:35

i am sad that this has happened, Colman's is so much part of our history. Apparently the name will remain the same because the mustard will be milled here (in a newly built mill) before being sent on to Burton on Trent etc.

The site will end up being sold for housing, I expect,. I remember going to Carrow Hall which is in the grounds of the factory I think to take Red Cross classes when I was at school.

I don't actually like mustard lol

Lizx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 5 Jan 2018 04:38

If anyone wants me to post some mustard, let me know

Lizx

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 5 Jan 2018 19:48

It is not the mustard that people eat that made Colman's rich, it is the mustard that people leave on the side of the plate.

Linda

Linda Report 7 Jan 2018 00:27

It’s the same in a way has Nestles they have not moved abroad but has far has I can remember it was always in Hayes not far from Heathrow it employed a lot of the locals from the towns around Hayes in fact my mum worked there for a short time when we first moved up here,anyway about five or six years ago the factory closed and opens a new one in Taton and hatton the old site in Hayes is for houses,

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Jan 2018 00:35

I remember interviewing a woman who had worked at the Nestles factory when I worked in market research. She was telling me how she used to smuggle out coffee in her knickers!

Linda

Linda Report 7 Jan 2018 02:20

O how funny Sharron they had a wonderful staff shop not only did they make the coffee there but also the sweets, hated the smell of the coffee though very strong at times. Where I live now they make the weetabix now that is a lovely smell first thing in the morning or last thing at night

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Jan 2018 03:00

Chichester always stunk of Shippams paste.

David

David Report 7 Jan 2018 10:30

Maynard's Sweets used to be manufactured in Ouseburn Newcastle

and Watson's Toffe was made in Byker.

There was also Dainty Dinah sweets made here too.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Jan 2018 13:25

Bendicks Chocolates, that had been manufactured in Winchester since 1952, was moved to Germany in 2011 :-(

David

David Report 7 Jan 2018 13:35

Ronson lighers used to be made at North Shields. They re gone.

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Jan 2018 13:51

Have just read that Aspalls cider has been taken over by an American company, the one that makes Coors beer.

I have never been very struck on Aspalls but cider is an alien concept to the Americans, they call a non-alcoholic apple juice cider.

We have lost the taste of Cadbury's chocolate, which I was also none too keen on but I do't like to see them go to commercial gain.

David

David Report 7 Jan 2018 14:05

Scottish & Newcastle Breweries (Brown Ale Exhibition) they've gone.

David

David Report 7 Jan 2018 14:06

W D & H O Wills they've gone

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Jan 2018 14:07

Fred and I had a sort of tradition that, if one of us was ill, the other would make them a Symingtons Table Cream and you can't even get that any more.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Jan 2018 14:34

I had to look Symingtons Table Cream up - as I have no idea what it is! :-S

Apparently it's still sold in quite a few supermarkets.