General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A warning

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Jul 2018 23:44

Daughter (who lives in a rural area) was lying in bed, with her windows open (as most of us are), when she noticed what looked like a large moth enter her bedroom.
It went straight for her, and landed on her pillow.
It was a BAT!!
She jumped out of bed, but before she could contain it, and put it back out of the widow, it flew off, around the room, and is now under her bed!! :-S :-S :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jul 2018 00:02

Oh - and she has either a queen wasp or hornet in her kitchen!! :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jul 2018 00:30

Daughter went to the bathroom - and the bat followed her!!
She's managed to contain it under a box, but it's violently trying to get out.
She's now desperately searching for something strong and thin to put under the box, so she can release it in the garden, and close all her windows!! :-0 :-S

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Jul 2018 00:44

Can it fly? There must be something wrong with it.

There was a scratch at my back door one day and my black cat was standing on the step with a dead bat beside him. I don't know if he had caught it, had never seen him fly.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jul 2018 00:57

The bat can fly - that's why she had a problem catching/trapping it!
The irony is, her bloke is a bat person - but he's on holiday :-S

She's got it outside - still in the box.
She's going to contact the bat conservation people in the morning, so they can check it over.
Could be a baby, or could be a rabid bat - it was very disorientated and 'stary', also where it shouldn't have been - all potential signs of rabies, hence she hasn't let it go.

Just like to say, the UK version of a rabid bat isn't quite like the fiction. From the Bat conservation website:
"A small number of bats in the UK have been found to carry EBLV, a rabies virus. There are two known strains: EBLV1 and EBLV2.

In the UK, 16 bats have been found with EBLV2: 13 in England, two in Scotland and one in Wales (one of these cases was confirmed through active surveillance work, the other 15 through a passive surveillance programme). All were Daubenton's bats.

Three bats have tested positive for EBLV1 antibodies: a serotine in the south of England and two Natterer's bats in Scotland. The presence of antibodies indicates past exposure to the virus but not the presence of live virus".

But better safe than sorry, not just for humans, but for wherever this bat came from....

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jul 2018 10:17

Well, the bat escaped! :-(

I's either perfectly healthy, or gained extra powers in it's totally rabid state! :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 8 Jul 2018 10:57

Your daughter is not living near one of the portals of Hell is she? :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jul 2018 11:15

:-D :-D :-D

She photographed the bat - it's tiny!!
It flew into the window, and around the room, but when it followed her to the bathroom, it walked :-S

I think, perhaps, she should stop wearing 'eau de bat' :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 8 Jul 2018 11:25

That brought to mind a school trip to Switzerland that I made in 1960.

One of the hotel staff had a pet bat which kept flying through the dormitory that we were staying in :-S

Not sure of the size of the bat as it was the first time most of us had encountered one.

Certainly not a large bat, but very disconcerting for twelve year olds :-0

Island

Island Report 8 Jul 2018 12:15

It was probably the Count looking for new blood

:-D

Allan

Allan Report 8 Jul 2018 12:18

Is that what they mean by a Blood Count? :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 8 Jul 2018 12:30

You're Batty Allan ;-) :-D :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 8 Jul 2018 12:35

Just call me Nora :-P :-D :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 8 Jul 2018 12:40

OK Hi Nora :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 8 Jul 2018 12:43

The wine has now gone :-(

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 8 Jul 2018 12:46

I'm just over the hill and down dale :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 8 Jul 2018 12:47

I could make a comment, but won't ;-) :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Jul 2018 12:59

Every time you hear that , you know you have won the argument because you know they can't really think of a comment!

Allan

Allan Report 8 Jul 2018 13:00

I was merely going to ask how Dale was :-P :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 8 Jul 2018 13:01

He's all reet :-D :-D :-D :-D