General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What really annoys you?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 27 Jun 2024 09:32

Dear All

Good morning

Hope you are well.

What things or people really annoy you or make you speechless at their actions or inactions?

(Apart from being asked questions like this!) :-S

My own gripes at the moment are:

Young people who like the sound of their own voices but cannot do their job for toffee. :-P

The words; engage, facilitate and health and safety assessment. :-P

Take gentle care
Love EOS
xx

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 27 Jun 2024 12:18

Bad Manners is top of my list.
Being spoken down to as though I am a pleb
I could go on but I haven't got time to type my whole list ;-) :-D :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 27 Jun 2024 13:14

Bad manners top of my list too.
People pushing in front of me in a line, no one is more important than me nor me more important than anyone else.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 27 Jun 2024 13:48

As with most people I think bad manners is at the top of my list .

Queuing is almost non existence now especially at bus stops . If I have waited for a bus and someone comes from nowhere to push in I will tell them .

Something that annoys me but OH doesn't mind is the music at the start of some programmes that is a lot louder than then actual programme so I have to keep changing the volume.
Maybe I'm just a grumpy old woman :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 27 Jun 2024 15:28

I agree about bad manners, but people round here still queue at bus stops. The buses are rarely full and quite often people will let me on first - because I am ancient!! I always thank them. :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Jun 2024 16:51

Oooh! an excuse for a rant!

The Argos adverts during "Coronation Street" - I have to mute the sound.

Why is everything "incredible" these days? It's incredibly annoying!

"Mist and murk" - a new weather condition in recent years. Whatever happened to plain old mist?

People on TV who can't speak without flapping their arms up and down.

"Reaching out" - can't people simply ask/contact/talk to others now, without being so over-emotive?

"Mental health" - don't get me started!
As Bernie in Corrie said about 3 years ago: "Twenty years ago we were stressed; twenty years before that we were just plain old worried; these days, you run out of teabags it impacts your mental health."

"Hard-working families" - a meaningless glib favourite of politicians.

The over-sweet patronising voice of the woman on the CareCo adverts on daytime TV.

"One pence".

And so on! Yes, I know I'm a grumpy old woman.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 27 Jun 2024 18:00

ArgyllGran I agree with you about 'incredible' being over used. One I don't understand is the 'My Truth' surely the truth is the truth not my truth, your truth and the truth from the man in the moon. :-S

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Jun 2024 18:04

"My truth" is just a trendy way of saying "my opinion", or "my point of view". Doesn't mean it's true!

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 27 Jun 2024 19:42

Some thing rather than people - the way bottle tops on large plastic bottles of drink - water, lemonade etc are now attached, apparently to ensure they are recycled with the bottle.
You need 3 hands - 2 to hold the bottle itself and one to hold the top open to prevent drink spilling everywhere.
I now cut the top off, but you have to ensure you cut all the bits off as they are quite sharp and you end up with a cut hand. Grr!

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 27 Jun 2024 21:02

Sloppy speech. People who are incapable of putting the letter T into the middle of a word. I live in Britain, not Bri- un as a certain high flying female politician, probably soon to be deputy prime minister insists :-|

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 28 Jun 2024 09:04

You know how some people get a bit crotchety as they get older? I intend to skip that stage and become a full blown grumpy old man!

My pet hates are:-

Spitting
Littering
People who have to swear at least once every sentence
Cruelty to animals
Cruelty to humans
Mindless vandalism
Spitting again
Politicians claiming to be in touch with us while they shaft us
Water companies dumping sewage
Water companies paying their executives ridiculous salaries
Water companies paying their executives excessive bonuses
Water companies paying shareholders excessive dividends
Actually, just Water companies
Selfish behaviour
Ignorance
Did I mention spitting? I despise seeing people spitting!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 28 Jun 2024 09:13

People who put animals above humans ;-)

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 28 Jun 2024 09:19

Lists….. :-D :-D :-D

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 28 Jun 2024 09:31

Mr Magoo :-D :-D

I forgot to say, people who say "awesome" as a gross exaggeration

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Jun 2024 10:03

Generally I am easy going, but I have to agree with many of your previous annoyances.
One small thing which grates is seeing a sign written in capital letters with a dot over a capital I.... why? :-S
I was recently choosing a birthday card for someone, but had to reject an otherwise suitable card, because of the dotted I on the front :-|

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 28 Jun 2024 11:54

Apostrophes.

Use of the word myself, when they mean I or me. Statements like "myself and the family did so-and-so", instead of "the family and I". :-|

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Jun 2024 12:17

Also the use of "me" when it should be "I" - and vice versa.

Me and the family went . . . .
He spoke to John and I.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 28 Jun 2024 15:36

And putting SO before a spoken sentance :-| :-| :-|

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Jun 2024 15:50

Wednesday's motorway journey reminded me of another annoying trait.

A large overhead sign warned of a lane closure ahead. We crawled along at a very slow pace, but some drivers seemed oblivious and raced by on our left-hand side.
Of course, further ahead they expected everyone to give way to them and let them into the forward lane, when it at last became obvious to them that they had run out of road :-| :-|
If they would only filter in gradually, when we first saw the signs, I'm sure we could all have kept going much quicker.

Von

Von Report 28 Jun 2024 16:07

Batsmen being batters

Outstanding >>stand out ;-) ;-)