General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MY GRANDMA....

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 27 May 2005 15:36

was scary! She was no cuddly, cosy grandmother! She was eccentric, laughed too loudly, preferred male company, was a spendthrift, and given to practical jokes. As a quiet child I found her to be quite alarming. She died when I was about ten but Oh I wish I knew her now! Now, at last, I understand her. Do you,or did you have a cosy Grandma or one like mine? XXBC

~Little Ray of Sunshine~

~Little Ray of Sunshine~ Report 27 May 2005 15:42

Nan was cudly, but had a wicked sense of humour! and by christ you didn't want to upset her coz you'd know about it. Wish i'd had chance to ask her more about her family tho. In fact i wish she could of held on for a little while longer as it was her that asked me to look into the family history, and she died 2 weeks after i started. I still remember visiting her in hospital and spreading peices of paper all over her bed with her parents and brothers and sisters on it...... it brought a huge smile to her face. God i miss her soooooooooo much (only lost her last september) c x

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 May 2005 15:44

HI BC. I had both. Grandma was and still is a rather neurotic woman who is always ill apparently. we very rarely saw her as kids but when we did we were only allowed to sit still and either watch TV or listen to the grown up conversation. She had a piano but we were very rarely allowed to play it Nan was the complete opposite. Cuddly, affectionate even though she struggled to show her emotions and loved taking us out and doing things with us. again, we didn't see her very often as she lived quite a long way away but she always made an effort to visit us which Grandma never does! I lost my nan last year to cancer and I miss her very much. she was the reason i started the family tree. Sarah x

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 May 2005 15:44

No! She was totally indifferent towards me. Even now she is ignoring me she has been dead for 20 years but can I find any info on her no. Elusive begger she is, no birth, no death! I remember once going to see her when I was 14 and she opened the door and said who are you! Julie xxx

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 May 2005 15:45

((((Hug)))) for you Claire... i know how you feel!

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 27 May 2005 15:47

Big Hugs for us all! XXBC

~Little Ray of Sunshine~

~Little Ray of Sunshine~ Report 27 May 2005 15:48

Thanks Sarah, I just smile and thank her every time i find a new rellie.....i'm sure she's sending them my way! ((((((((hug))))))))) back to you all c x

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 May 2005 15:49

I think your grandma sounds fascinating BC. She probably did'nt want to be a grandmother lol. ((((HUG)))) for you too.

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 27 May 2005 15:51

Thanks Sarah :) now get back to the Barbecue and put the bottom part on! lol BC

Mags

Mags Report 27 May 2005 15:57

I loved my Gran. She loved me. She was a hard working woman with a gentle spirit. My mother had her down as something entirely different but then she was never happy unless she was bemoaning how hard done by she had been. My Gran was the only one who ever gave me any encouragement in life, the only one who told me I looked nice on my wedding day. To me she was a very special woman. She died the day before my son was born over 30 years ago. I still think about her often and still miss her. One in, one out? If she was reborn in my son, I would be more than happy if he has inherited a tenth of her character...and yes he is a gentle soul in many respects. Magsxx

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 27 May 2005 16:01

She sounds like a wonderful woman, Mags....XXBC

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 May 2005 16:02

Oh Mags, that's left a lump in my throat. Sarah xxx

Slinky

Slinky Report 27 May 2005 16:02

'Fraid I can't remember any of my grandparents... they had all died before I was born... but do wish I had known them, so glad my grandchildren know me... we have a great time when they are here!! Anne :))

Mags

Mags Report 27 May 2005 16:02

She was BC Mags xx (getting tearful here)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 May 2005 16:07

My maternal nan was a lovely cuddley Nan. Remember sitting with her in my Mums 'front room' when I was pregnant with our daughter in 1958. She used to laugh & tell me of her experiences with each of her pregnances,& tell me my symptoms were 'Normal'. She died,bless her three weeks before our daughter was born,& the day of her funeral I was admitted to hospital with eadeamia(spelling).& my hubby went to her funeral on my behalf. The paternal gran however was a different kettle of fish!!. Very autocratic,altho research on her shows she had more to hide , She used to pay three year state visits!! She descended on my Mum in 1965 after her daughters didnt want to know anymore,she had the start of altzeimers, & my MUM.bless her took her in.althos for years she didnt have a kind word for my Mum & dad. She died in 1965 & my Mum & Dad were diamonds,Looked after her & did the right thing for her. Shirley

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 27 May 2005 16:10

Well, Shirley, one out of two aint bad! XXBC

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 May 2005 16:18

Hi Buttercup Absolutely. I think My Nan Batchelor was a Lady in every sense. The one who thought she was.I have very little respect for because of the way she was to my parents ,who were very hard working people who did their VERY best for their kids. Shirley

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 27 May 2005 16:24

Thanks Jean. I got to thinking about this because I hope to be a grandmother for the first time this year, and I hope and pray I will be a good one, or at least a fun Grandma! XXBC

Magi

Magi Report 27 May 2005 16:31

You'll be the 'coolest' gran there is BC My maternal Grandma was a gem. I'm told more and more as I get older that I am so much like her to look at. Scary thing is it's true. I found a photo of her at 21 and everyone thinks it's me in fancy dress OMG! Now my dad's mom, what a character. Supposed she had to be with ten of them to contend with. She ruled the roost, no messing. But was loved and adored by all her grandchildren and great granchildren alike. M xx

Victoria

Victoria Report 27 May 2005 16:32

My dads mam died on my 8th birthday in 1974 she was a very old lady 88.I can just remember her my dad used to take me to visit on a saturday morning the house would be full of people,she had 11 children and dozens of granchildren,I remember her in a long frock,with along silver plait down her back reaching almost to the floor.there was also loads of cats and dogs in the house. My mams mam died when I was 16,she had to endure watching her eldest daughter(my mam) 47 die from cancer 2 years before.She was a rock for me at a bad time.I miss her.She was widowed in the thirties with 5 children.she went on to remarrie and have another two,she was a strong independant woman. vicky