Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Samuel Widdowson (1816)

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 Apr 2008 21:15

Can you give me the full list of children of Samuel Widdowson (1816) and Mary Anne Whitworth (1828) .... Samuel was born in Carlton, Notts. and Mary was born in Basford Notts. Samuel was married first to Mary Holmes (1820) but she must have died because he then married Ms. Whitworth.

I know their Son Samuel (1851) married Margaret Dickinson (1856) in Hull and they had a child called Douglas. I need to know Samuel's other siblings please.

Thanks .... Margaret.

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 21 Apr 2008 21:20

Could this be the same man on the IGI?

SAMUEL WIDDOWSON

Christening: 28 JAN 1816 Gedling, Nottingham, England

Parents:
Father: GEORGE WIDDOWSON Family
Mother: FAITH

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 21 Apr 2008 21:21

Samuel Widdowson Pedigree
Male Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: 07 JAN 1816 Carlton, , Nottingham, England

Christening:
Death: 04 JUL 1884 Kingston Upon Hull, Yorkshire, England

Burial: 08 JUL 1884 Spring Bank Cem, Kingston Upon Hull, Yorkshire, England

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: George Widdowson Family

Marriages:
Spouse: Mary Ann Whitworth Family
Marriage: 21 AUG 1846 Nottingham, Nottingham, England

Submitted report from IGI

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 21 Apr 2008 21:23

No others with father George on that same first batch for the christening so any siblings were baptised elsewhere

Sue

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 Apr 2008 21:27

Hi Sue:

Samuel's father was George but his Mum was called Edy or Edney Gilbin.... Samuel did die in Hull and is buried in Spring Bank Cem.

There are two Samuel's about that date who married Ms. Whitworths it seems and we are mixed up .... my father is the Douglas, son of Samuel and Margaret Dickinson.

Thanks for any help. Margaret.

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 21 Apr 2008 21:30

Going forward to next generation there appears to be a brother

William Widdowson Pedigree
Male Family

Event(s):
Birth: 1857 Nottingham, Nottingham, England

Christening:
Death: 25 SEP 1922

Burial:

Parents:
Father: Samuel Widdowson Family
Mother: Mary Ann Whitworth

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 21 Apr 2008 21:34

No easy way to find siblings of your Samuel. They are on submitted records so can't access via a batch.

Just by putting in names at random for Widdowson with parents Samuel and Mary brings up some

John Widdowson Pedigree
Male Family

Event(s):
Birth: 1863 Nottingham, Nottingham, England

Christening:
Death: 29 MAR 1927

Burial:

Parents:

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 21 Apr 2008 21:36

George Widdowson Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth: 1860 Nottingham, Nottingham, England

Christening:
Death: 13 SEP 1889

Burial:

Parents:

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 21 Apr 2008 21:37

Eliza Widdowson Pedigree
Female Family

Event(s):
Birth: 1849 Nottingham, Nottingham, England

Christening:
Death: 08 SEP 1888

Burial:

Parents:

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 Apr 2008 21:39

I think there was a James married an Isabella Walker .... but not sure if these names are right because of the mixed up trees.

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 Apr 2008 21:43

Hi Sue:

I think the mix up is with a Samuel Camm Widdowson and our Samuel .... and a Mary Ann Whitworth (without the e) ,,,,, all very confusing.

Margaret.

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 21 Apr 2008 21:57

Are you positive that this is two Samuels both marrying women of the same name?

I wouldn't worry about an e in the spelling.......spellings are very variable in the 19th century but the odds on two men of the same name marrying two women of the same name in the same area looks remarkable.

Sue

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 21 Apr 2008 22:01

This is the only registration and it is to Mary Ann

Marriages Sep 1846
Widdowson Samuel Nottingham 15 830

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 Apr 2008 22:03

I know - what are the odds? But another person on Genes has the same Samuel and Mary Ann (without the e) and more or less the same people I have but she has their son Samuel marrying Agnes Mary Bowley in 1877 .... whereas our Samuel married Margaret Dickinson ... this is borne out by my Dad who was raised by Samuel and Margaret after his Mum left and his Dad died at sea. My Dad died last year at age 101 and he remembers Samuel and Margaret, and also Mary Anne Whitworth (I have her picture) .... so all a bit of a mystery.

Anyhow, don't spend all your time on this if you have other people to attend to.

I just thought I would ask.

Regards. Margaret

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 21 Apr 2008 22:04

I can see no marriage of a Samuel Widdowson and Margaret Dickinson or Dickenson

Sue

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 21 Apr 2008 22:06

I would say there is only one couple.

Forget whatever someone else has on their tree. Without the paper proof it means nothing.

Looks rather to me as if Samuel and Margaret were not actually married.

Doing family history can bring up all sorts of secrets and I think you may have uncovered one.

Sue

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 21 Apr 2008 22:08

Without doing much more digging I would guess Samuel may have married the woman on the other person's tree but later was living as married with Margaret.

Just going to follow a hunch........be right back!

Sue

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 Apr 2008 22:10

Hm! Makes me wonder too, but how would that explain his marriage to Agnes Mary Bowley?

According to the other tree, from that union came my Dad's Pa and from then on the tree is correct.

I will try to find out if Samuel and Margaret had a marriage cert.....where they issued back then?

I am new to this (had you guessed?) ... so forgive my silly questions.

Do appreciate your help.

Margaret.

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 Apr 2008 22:13

Come to think of it - there is a story in the family that tells of Samuel living with his daughter while Margaret was still alive and raising her family, including my Dad...perhaps there is something to that story.

Margaret.

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 21 Apr 2008 22:15

Marriages Mar 1877
Widdowson Samuel Camm Basford 7b 136

Deaths Sep 1896
Widdowson Agnes 42 Doncaster 9c 430

No marriage for a Samuel Widdowson to a Margaret anything apart from one in Derbyshire and far too early!
Marriages Dec 1858
Wheeldon Margaret Chapel En Le Frith 7b 1007

Ok what this means in my opinion is that we are indeed looking at one Samuel and that he did marry Agnes.

Divorce was almost unknown for ordinary people. I think they separated and he later lived with Margaret as married.

Sue