Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Attention All Helpers URGENT

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 15 Nov 2008 09:24

GR have changed the T&C's and I would suggest that you all read section 11.

GR now have the right to request evidence of your permission to post & to me this would include census information.

Please feel free to correct me if I've read this wrongly, I'm no legal expert.

LD

LD Report 15 Nov 2008 10:00

You agree to give us evidence of all such licences, rights, consents, and permissions if so requested by us. You acknowledge that the contents of any Submission material other than personal data will be considered non-confidential.

This would mean that if you reproduce on here anything that is subject to copyright, then you must have evidence that you have permission from the copyright holder to reproduce any such item.

So if anybody "copies and pastes" from another website then they should firstly obtain permission from that site, if there is a registered copyright.

LD

LD Report 15 Nov 2008 10:05

Here is the privacy statement from Ancestry

Ancestry.co.uk contains graphics, information, data, editorial and other content accessible by any Internet user and similar content which is accessible only to our subscribing members, ("Content"). Whether in the free section or in the subscription section of the Service, the copyright in all Content and any other intellectual property rights in the Service are owned by The Generations Network, Inc., or third party providers, and may be used only in accordance with the provisions of the limited use licence set out below.

LD

LD Report 15 Nov 2008 10:07

Print this page

Terms and Conditions

Before using or subscribing to Ancestry.co.uk, please review the following terms and conditions which define your rights, responsibilities and benefits as a user of Ancestry.co.uk.

Ancestry.co.uk Licence and Terms and Conditions of Use
Ancestry.co.uk is an Internet service (the "Service") owned and operated by The Generations Network, Inc, an American company incorporated in Delaware, USA, and whose registered address is 360 W 4800 N Provo, UT 84604, USA ("we", "our" or "us"). If you are under the age of 18, you may not access nor use this Service, unless you obtain permission of your parent or legal guardian (collectively “Guardian”) and your Guardian has confirmed to us that he or she takes full responsibility for your access and use of this Site. "You" or "your" means a permitted user of the Service or, in the case of minors, the Guardian of such minor. Your use of the Service indicates that you accept these terms and conditions (the "Terms and Conditions") and the accompanying PRIVACY POLICY (together the "Agreement"). If you don't agree with any of these terms and conditions, you must not use the Service. We may alter this agreement at our discretion, and your continued use after any change indicates your acceptance of that change. If you don't want to be bound by a change, you must discontinue use of the Service.

Ancestry.co.uk contains graphics, information, data, editorial and other content accessible by any Internet user and similar content which is accessible only to our subscribing members, ("Content"). Whether in the free section or in the subscription section of the Service, the copyright in all Content and any other intellectual property rights in the Service are owned by The Generations Network, Inc., or third party providers, and may be used only in accordance with the provisions of the limited use licence set out below.

Limited Use LICENCE
You are licensed to use the Content only for personal or professional family history research, and may download Content only as search results relevant to that research. The download of the whole or material parts of any work or database is prohibited. Resale of a work or database or portion thereof, except as specific results relevant to specific research for an individual, is prohibited. Online or other republication of Content is prohibited except as unique data elements that are part of a unique family history or genealogy. Violation of this limited use licence may result in immediate termination of your membership and may result in legal action against you. You may use the software provided on the Service only while online and may not download, copy, reuse or distribute that software, except where it is clearly stated in connection with software that it is made available for offline use, and a licence for such use is provided in connection with that software.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 15 Nov 2008 10:11

There was a thread on Tips a few weeks ago pointing out that by doing lookups we were putting our Ancestry/FMP subs in jeopardy.

Now it seems that GR are tightening up or am I reading this wrongly?

LD

LD Report 15 Nov 2008 10:17

I am not an expert in Copyright law but basically if you reproduce anything "ad hoc" from another website, book or any document then you are infringing copyright.
When writing, if I wish to reproduce a written statement then I have to obtain permission or I can reauthor it, ie I could not reproduce "Mrs Smith lived next door to Mrs Jones" I could however write "Mrs Jones lived next door to Mrs Smith"
Copyright is a very big and very grey area.

LD

LD Report 15 Nov 2008 10:18

ps I have in fact infringed Copyright law by reproducing Ancestry's T&Cs !

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 15 Nov 2008 10:45

A little bit confusing reading section 11.

I at first thought it was referring to info contained in your own tree

Maureen

Julie

Julie Report 15 Nov 2008 11:44

With what happened to LFW i'll be stopping the look up from now on

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 15 Nov 2008 12:12

What if info was pmd,would that be able to be tracked?and if you dont paste but only put the names, birth year and place of birth so people can look up themselves would that be an infringment of the copyright?
vivienne

LD

LD Report 15 Nov 2008 12:26

No you only infringe copyright if you copy verbatim. If you put the details in your own words that is ok. To republish facts that are widely available (ie on a website) does not infringe any laws.

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 15 Nov 2008 12:28

Thank you LD
vivienne

Potty

Potty Report 15 Nov 2008 12:40

Maybe we should all sign up to transcribe for freecen. I can't at the moment as I transcribe for freebmd and am also transcribing parish records for my own parish so don't have much free time but hope to be able to next year.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 15 Nov 2008 12:47

I suspect Ancestry have complained to GR!

It is fairly recently that someone on one of the threads posted the info that when they telephoned Ancestry re the huge increase in subs they were told it was because of people offering "look ups" in this country.

I notice on Family Tree Forum people are talking of renewing their Ancestry subs through Aus and NZ which is much cheaper.

Anne from Scotland

Anne from Scotland Report 15 Nov 2008 12:49

JULIE

what happened to LFW?

I think I will not be posting info on my BIVRI thread now.

Anne

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 15 Nov 2008 13:14

A majority of this board is people asking for look ups..Do you think it will have to be closed down then?
That would be a shame as I have met tons of nice people on here

Marcelle

LD

LD Report 15 Nov 2008 13:15

Pam, yes that is correct. Most websites will have that in their T&Cs.
If you quote a website address without their prior consent, that is an infringement.

LD

LD Report 15 Nov 2008 13:17

Marcelle, there is no reason for look ups to stop. As I said earlier, what you cannot do is quote the info you find verbatim. (ie copy and paste) You have to rewrite it.

Marcelle

Marcelle Report 15 Nov 2008 13:22

Thanks LD. I have to type all my info out as I am unable to copy & paste from my info

Thanks

Marcelle

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 15 Nov 2008 13:24

I would think that people can still ask for information.

It is the transfer of the info (as in copy and paste) that is not really allowed and it does seem to have grown lately!