Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please help me find a Birth Reg for Rosina Phelan

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JeannieH

JeannieH Report 2 Apr 2009 15:15

Hi everyone, I wonder if anybody would help me find A bIrth Registration for my Gt Aunt Rosina Phelan born in Birmingham, Warwickshire in 1877. I,m not being lazy, I have looked at any and every combination of first names and surnames that I can including variations of the surname which I have found spelt Phalin, Phalen, Phealing on census records and certificates.
I just thought perhaps a fresh pair of eyes might just spot a record I,ve missed. Please help, I will be eternally grateful. Jeanette.

JeannieH

JeannieH Report 2 Apr 2009 15:35

Hi Annie and Mrs M,
I have looked at the entry for Rosina Malinda Pillin, but can find this Rosina on the 1881 census and she is with a different family so not my Rosina I,m afraid. I will try what you suggest Mrs M, and will let you know what materializes. Thank you both for answering and trying to help me solve my puzzle.
Jeanette.

JeannieH

JeannieH Report 2 Apr 2009 15:42

Hi Jim,
thanks so much for replying to my message, yes the 1881 and 1891 census,s that you found refer to my Rosina, her mother was Esther Phelan. I did think I,d found her when I found the Rosina Malinda Pillin entry, but as you can see from my reply to Anne. I did check it out and it,s not my ancestor. I really appreciate your help. thanks.
Jeanette.

JeannieH

JeannieH Report 2 Apr 2009 15:52

Hi Jonesy, Somerset girl and Richard,
I did find Rosina on the IGI, that is how I know that she was christened as Rosina and not Rose as named in all the census records, but her father,s name should be Patrick not George, although it is possible that Either Patrick or George could be a second name. I would like to find an actual birth Reg, to check whether Patrick, Esther,s husband was indeed her father. Sorry if this is getting complicated. Perhaps I,ll just have to concede that she was not registered, although this seems unlikely in 1877.
Once again, thanks for everyone,s help,
Jeanette.

JeannieH

JeannieH Report 2 Apr 2009 15:57

Hi Somerset girl,
will take your advice and try the Registry office for Birmingham;
perhaps they might be able to help. Will let everyone know if I find out anything.
Thanks again, Jeanette.

JeannieH

JeannieH Report 2 Apr 2009 16:33

Hi somerset girl,
Thanks for information on IGI re: Patt and Esthers marriage, looks as if Patricks first name was Patrick and not George, so why would Rosina,s father be put down as George on the IGI entry for her birth, unless we are talking of a completely different father, the more I know the stranger it gets. I,ll surely get to the bottom of this someday.
Thanks a lot for time and trouble taken to help me.
cheers, Jeanette.

Potty

Potty Report 2 Apr 2009 16:59

The family in 1861, with father Patrick:

1861 England Census
about George Phelan
Name: George Phelan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1855
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Patrick
Mother's Name: Esther
Where born: Birmingham

Civil Parish: Enfield
Ecclesiastical parish: St James
County/Island: Middlesex

Street address:

Condition as to marriage: View Image

Registration district: Edmonton
Sub registration district: Enfield
ED, institution, or vessel: 14
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 27
Household Members: Name Age
Patrick Phelan 28 b1833, Ireland, Gun Sight Maker
Esther Phelan 26
George Phelan 6
Mary Ann Phelan 4 b Middlesex, Enfield
Sarah Phelan 2
Mary Phelan 52 b Ireland, Mother
George Pitman 24
William Walker 22
Charles Helton 23

JeannieH

JeannieH Report 2 Apr 2009 17:05

Hi Potty,
I have most of the census records for the family, although this in itself throws up another mystery, Patrick does not appear again on any other census records with the family, although further children are born. Esther does not declare herself a widow until 1891,so whether patrick is constantly working away from home ,either in the army or elsewhere, I don,t know. I,m really grateful for the time and trouble taken to help me sort my mystery out for me.
Thanks, Jeanette.

JeannieH

JeannieH Report 2 Apr 2009 17:19

Hi all,
I shall be away from the computer for a while, getting a meal ready, just in case I miss any replies, get back later.
Thanks for help so far.
Jeanette.

JeannieH

JeannieH Report 2 Apr 2009 19:26

Hi all, am now back on the computer, just in case, keep my fingers crossed, anyone has any better luck finding Gt Aunt Rosina than I,ve had.
Thanks for help offered so far,
Jeanette.

JeannieH

JeannieH Report 3 Apr 2009 22:22

nudge for me,
Jeanette.

JeannieH

JeannieH Report 9 Mar 2012 20:14

nudge for me,

Jeanette

Potty

Potty Report 10 Mar 2012 12:03

Jeanette, as so many posts seem to have been deleted from this thread ('Why?), it might be a good idea to add something to your first post so people realise you are still looking . You say you have all the censuses. Just for info, could you post one that includes Rose? Did she marry and if so do you have her marriage cert to confirm her father's name?

JeannieH

JeannieH Report 10 Mar 2012 21:33

Hi Potty, thanks for replying. You mention posts being deleted from this thread and ask why? I have no idea when and where posts have been deleted, I certainly have never deleted any. I haven,t used the boards for a while, so wasn,t aware of any activity.
On the 1881 census Rosina,s surname has been entered as Phalin, she is living at 18 Sheep Street, Birmingham with mother Esther 44 and George26, Sarah 21, John16 and Henry 11.
In 1891 her surname is entered as Phaling, she is with mother Esther and brother Harry at house 1 back of No.40 Sheep Street, Birmingham.
By 1901 she is living with Charlotte, her sister-in-law, George,s wife and Charlotte,s children at 101 Holte Street, Aston Birmingham. surname given as Phealing.
In 1903 she marries Ernest William Simpkins at St Editha,s Church Tamworth and they have a daughter Nellie born 1915.
I have a baptismal record from St Mary,s church Whittal St, Birmingham which gives her Father as George and mother Esther. Her marriage lines however give her father as Patrick. I have never been able to find a birth registration for her. Sorry all this has been so long winded, but thought I would put down all I know.
Thanks for interest,
Jeanette.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 11 Mar 2012 10:49

just to go back to basics here and note that the igi does not have all baptisms recorded.

Please can you post the details of daughter Nellie's birth as I can't find a registration in 1914-1916

in fact I can't find a marriage in 1903 either

Dea

Dea Report 11 Mar 2012 11:35

This will be the marriage:

Marriages Dec 1903 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BROWN Edward John Tamworth 6b 779
Failin Rose Tamworth 6b 779
Meer Lucy Tamworth 6b 779
Simkins Ernest William Tamworth 6b 779

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 11 Mar 2012 11:41

Births Dec 1915
Simkins Nellie Failin Tamworth 6b 692

Dea x

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 11 Mar 2012 11:45

thanks Dea

I made the mistake of spelling it like Jeanette with the 'p' in Simkins and phonetic search did not pick it up - or Failin for Phelan

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Mar 2012 11:53

1871 census

Name: George Phalen
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1856
Relation: Son
Mother's Name: Esther Phalen
Where born: Birmingham
Civil parish: Birmingham
Ecclesiastical parish: Bishop Ryder
Town: Birmingham
County/Island: Warwickshire
Registration district: Birmingham
Sub-registration district: St Peter
ED, institution, or vessel: 5
Household schedule number: 127
Piece: 3108
Folio: 105
Page Number: 23
Household Members:
Name Age
Esther Phalen 33
George Phalen 15
Mary Ann Phalen 13
Sarah Ann Phalen 11
Elizabeth Phalen 9
John Phalen 4
Henry Phalen 2 Months
address 30 Sheep Street
Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3108; Folio: 105; Page: 23; GSU roll: 839575.

mum is down as married but no father with them

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Mar 2012 12:00

wonder if this is her the transcriber wasnt sure of the surname and the page is no longer viewable

Name: Rosina Malinda Pillin?
Date of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1877
Registration district: Birmingham
Inferred County: Warwickshire
Volume: 6d
Page: 30