Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 Census Limitations of downloads

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 30 Sep 2009 15:09

I found this statement referring to the 1911 Census subscription (available next month on FMP)

QUOTE -When it does become available by subscription there are limits in how many downloads subscribers have. END OF QUOTE

I had no idea we were going to be limited to a certain number of downloads after paying an arm and a leg to subscribe.

Does anyone have any idea what the 'limitations' will be?

Janet

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Sep 2009 15:21

Hi Janet,

I didn't realise that there would be "limitations" either. I do know it says that if you are not likely to use more than a certain number of look-ups then you would be better staying with pay as you go, but I'm sure most people thinking of taking out a subscription would expect to download as many images as they wanted to.

I don't think I'll be subscribing as I have all the 1911 census images that I think I need already.

EDIT - This is what it says on findmypast:-

Subscriptions to the 1911 Census will be available as two packages:

12-month 1911 census subscription – £59.95 (the equivalent of viewing 15 transcripts and images using PayAsYouGo credits).

Six-month 1911 census subscription – £39.95 (the equivalent of viewing 10 transcripts and images using PayAsYouGo credits).

Money saving tip: If you plan to view fewer than 10 households, it will be cheaper for you to continue using PayAsYouGo credits, but if you view more than 10 records, a subscription will be your best option.

Kath. x

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 30 Sep 2009 15:24

Hi Kath

I have a few stubborn relatives that I cannot find (including my paternal grandmother) so I was thinking of treating myself to 6 months.

Now, I am having second thoughts as I think we are being taken for a ride.

Janet

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 30 Sep 2009 15:26

Sounds like they are going to make money hand over fist. yet the Irish 1911 is clear, easy to search,with original images is completely FREE !

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 30 Sep 2009 15:32

Hi Lindsey - I actually wonder if this is going to backfire on them. After all, most serious family historians have bought credits and have found most relatives they wanted to see already.

If they impose restrictions like this a lot of people are going to get more than a little cross.

I agree, the Irish censuses are wonderful. I have recently found my husband's grandfather and I am about to order his marriage certificate from GROIreland. (Lovely Jubbly, another line to follow).

Kath, Yes, I have already seen the 'ad' from FMP. I am going to have a look to see if I can find the quote about the limitations as the poster didn't say where they saw it. It wasn't on GR.

EDIT - I cannot find anything on the limitations. I think I'll go and ask the poster where they found this information.

Janet

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 30 Sep 2009 15:35

I have found this...

"Subscriptions to the 1911 Census on findmypast.com will be available as two packages:

12 months ‘1911′ subscription: £59.95 - the equivalent of viewing 15 transcripts and images using PayAsYouGo credits.
6 months ‘1911′ subscription: £39.95 - the equivalent of viewing 10 transcripts and images using PayAsYouGo credits.
Money saving tip: if you plan to view fewer than 10 households, it will be cheaper for you to use PayAsYouGo credits rather than buying a subscription"

But i think they are more or less weighing your options up for you... if like some people you are going to do fewer than 10 downloads then your financially better off staying with PAYG. However for most of us avid helpers we'll all manage more than that in a day....

...i cannot also see where the limitations are, i think they are merely giving us a stick to guage things with?

Tracey x

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 30 Sep 2009 16:02

I've emailed the person who posted this quote asking him where he found the information. If he replies I'll let you all know what he says.

Janet

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 30 Sep 2009 17:04

I have now read the press release on FMP and i think indeed the subs service is going to be an open one, i think people are merely getting themselves confused when they refer to the PAYG equivalent in cost?

There is no mention of the limited service or max downloads...

Tracey x

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 30 Sep 2009 17:29

Tracey and Joan

I have not managed to find any notice of 'limitations' either. I am still waiting to hear back from the original poster and I shall be interested to hear what he says.

Janet

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 30 Sep 2009 17:34

Like i say Janet

I think maybe the originator of the quote was getting confused with the value for money translation regards PAYG and Subs equivalent!

Tracey x

RobG

RobG Report 30 Sep 2009 18:33

I agree with all that others have said - the figures generally available are for use as a guide to see if it's worth your while subscribing (a bit like being able to tell if it's better to have your phone on PAYG or a monthly sub, except FMP has done the maths for you!!).

However, I would expect that when the subs to start up the small print will contain a "Fair Usage Policy", whereby people who use an excessive amount (say, professional genealogists) may have to pay more or something. This is a standard clause in this sort of set up and infact, if you look at their existing T&Cs, there is just such a clause in there already, which specifies what the CURRENT limit is:

6. Fair Usage Policy for Subscribers
6.1 To ensure a high quality service for all customers, we enforce a “Fair Usage Policy” for Users with a Subscription whereby we place a cap on use of the Services. We have set the current use limit at an average of no more than 1000 Credits per month over a rolling three month period.
6.2 We may revise our Fair Usage Policy from time to time and will advise you of any changes made.
6.3 If you exceed the Fair Usage Policy limits, We reserve the right to invoice you retrospectively for all Credits used at the rate of 12 pence per Credit and to suspend or terminate your use of the Services
UNQUOTE

RobG

RobG Report 30 Sep 2009 20:17

Stephen, I cannot see the current fair usage levels being transposed directly in to the upcoming 1911 set up for the reasons you state. The census (esp. the 1911 one) is a totally diferent animal to the other documents featured.
I would expect to see either the number of units per view/transcription to fall or, more likely, the threshold to be raised to a more practical level.

~*~~*Sylvie*~~*~

~*~~*Sylvie*~~*~ Report 30 Sep 2009 20:24

Sorry to say but if people are stupid enough to pay for this then they will get away with it.

I stupidly paid the once just out of curiosity and realised what little you get for your money.

I know it's exciting to find out info you've been waiting for but if everybody held back we wouldnt get so ripped off.

Sylvie

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 30 Sep 2009 22:12

Hello Joan

I, too, have bought several sets of credits, when I could afford to, to search the 1911 census. I so dearly wanted to see my grandparents and my much loved aunt as a baby!

I don't begrudge the money at all, as I have a nice file of print outs to gloat over but I was surprised to read we may be limited with searches with a subscription. I am missing a granny! She is not with her parents and although she married in my own town a few months later I cannot find her in 1911. A few others are 'missing people' too so I do hope we are not restricted too much in our searches when the sub is available in October.

Sorry, Sylvie, I can't agree with your opinion on this occasion, though I believe we are all entitled to say what we think on this board. This silly person (me) will probably fork out for a six month sub. Oh, but what fun I shall have searching during the long winter evenings....

Best regards

Janet

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 30 Sep 2009 22:54

Just praise your authorities for being able to offer you any sort of census information. We out here in the colonies have nothing which equals your census records. We are restricted very severely to what BDM we can research, have a limited access to electoral roll information, and only in some states. All our census records were destroyed after the data the government wanted was extracted. Well that's what us citizens have been told is the practice so far.

Once our ancestors sailed from merry old England, family history research became quite difficult and very, very expensive.

I am quite miffed that most of mine left your wintry shores before 1910 which means the 1911 census is of not much use to me at all!!!

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 1 Oct 2009 08:17

I got an answer from the chap who started all this!

He quoted the T&C's but did admit there may be changes as the cost of each image (30 credits) is far higher than is charged for the earlier censuses.

I assume he's referring to FMP's credits.

I will be asking the FMP team for some clarity on this.

Thanks for all replies

Janet

GranOfOzRubySlippers

GranOfOzRubySlippers Report 1 Oct 2009 13:51

I am with AuntySherlock on this one. Would pay double what they are already asking for census if we had them in Australia.

I am also looking forward to the release of the 1911 with a subscription price, so will be signing up for my OH family who came to OZ in the 1950's. Then hopefully can sort out some Certificates I am not sure of.

Gail

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 1 Oct 2009 14:04

The 1000 limit would allow you to look at 200 images on a 6 month subscription, which seems reasonable for individual researchers.

Unfortunately its the look ups for others that will be limited which is probably why the limit is there in the first place.

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 1 Oct 2009 14:30

Thanks, Joan

I looks as though it won't be as bad as I first thought if they are reviewing the credit situation.

Now I have to save up for a sub. I've got a small 'Family History' fund but there are four places to put every penny!

Janet

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 1 Oct 2009 14:36

Jacqui

I calculate that using the present credit system 1000 credits gives 33 images or 100 transcripts.

Have I got this right?

Anyway, hopefully, we should get more for our money than this.

Janet