Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This has been said before but...

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 6 Mar 2010 11:27

If you ask for help please go back to your post and reply to those who have spent their time trying to help you.

Marion

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 6 Mar 2010 15:06

nudge

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 7 Mar 2010 11:20

:))

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 7 Mar 2010 18:26

And I'll say it again lol

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Mar 2010 23:46

well worth nudging to the top!

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 8 Mar 2010 08:26

N

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Mar 2010 20:10

n

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 12 Mar 2010 14:07

n

Margaret

Margaret Report 12 Mar 2010 15:10

n

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 12 Mar 2010 16:07

I think some dont know how it works and others are just plain rude and thoughless.

Peter

Peter Report 12 Mar 2010 16:32

Hey, I unerstand what you are saying but I think sometimes people do not get back to the site straight away after making a request ... I know I am certainly guilty of this, but without a pc at home, I often rely on the library. Of course, there are some people who are simply rude, but I just wanted to show another side to the problem.

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 12 Mar 2010 16:45

If that's the case Peter why dont people just say,they wont be back.
Why ask if your not going to be around to find out.
Its best to be around as often who ever is helping might need a bit more info to go on.

I've seen people on here spending ages doing look-ups some of which they pay for,only to never get a reply.

That is the point I'm getting at.

Marion

Peter

Peter Report 12 Mar 2010 16:55

Well sometimes the responce to a query varies in length of time, so if I am at the pc and get a reply I will reply with a thank you and other information asap. If I am not at the pc, for whatever reason, it is at the top of my list to do when I return and see if the post has been replied too. I see your point exactly, but I just wanted to show another side as to why people may at times be late in replying. Again, there are of course some people who are just rude, take the information and never say thank you, and, that is not polite!

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 12 Mar 2010 17:15

Yes I know what you mean Peter. you could wait a while and not get any help, not saying you should sit glued to the PC lol.

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 12 Mar 2010 17:28

Yes Ann, the blink of an eye and your whole family is there lol

Peter

Peter Report 12 Mar 2010 17:30

lol yeah I agree!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Mar 2010 20:00

I guess one of the things that seekers could do would be to NOT put up a request as the last thing they do before going to bed/work or whatever

I find that is what has happened very often when I am on here in the middle of the UK night.

Problem is, I can't help because all the necessary information is just not there.

I do then usually post something like "any ideas on time line .. 18th, 19th, 20th centuries?? Any idea on possible forenames?"

................... and then wander off to help someone else.

Sometimes I just can't be bothered ....... even though I know that I probably have access to all the sites that would be needed

If that seeker had only put up the question about 10 or 15 minutes before the end of their session on the computer, then checked back just before ending their session ................ those questions might have been answered.

I honestly don't mind beavering away in the middle of your night, as long as I have sufficient information to start with!

sylvia

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 12 Mar 2010 20:30

....and I must add, as I have, many times before...that the majority of people who reply to the 'how to find your replies' message I send out, do not know how the site works. Many think that GR will send an email alert to let them know that someone has answered them.

The ones I get cross with are those who answer neither the replies on the thread nor acknowledge my pm!

I occasionally get the response 'I can't sit by my computer all day', and then I am tempted to tell them that it took all of 3 minutes for a reply to appear!!

I must send over 50 messages per day when I have time but it's worth it, even if I only help a couple of folk on their way.

Cx.

Joy

Joy Report 12 Mar 2010 21:30

Should have a sticky :-)

I have lost count of the number of times that I have replied with advice and the original poster has not returned to acknowledge replies several weeks later.

Mummycool

Mummycool Report 12 Mar 2010 22:43

I just wanted to say that I have asked questions on this site quite a few times, and have always had an answer quite shortly. However, I am sure I was advised at one time that it was advisable to be able to stay on the site for half an hour at least after asking a question. May I also say that as a relative new comer to this kind of research, I would never have got past the 1830s with my tree if it hadnt been for the kind assistance I have got from you. I never cease to be amazed that something I have been trying to find for months, and have all but given up on appears on my screen in moments! I want to thank all of you on behalf of those thoughtless and ignorant enough not to!