Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help request

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

matthew

matthew Report 16 Jun 2016 20:33

Hi guys, my gg grandparents first child Henry James wilson was born in hutchestown glasgow 1862 before they returned to England without him, don't know why, I found him in high castle Lanarkshire census from 1871-1901 but can anyone with better experience find a date of death for him? Thanks.

greyghost

greyghost Report 16 Jun 2016 22:12

Welcome to the boards Matthew.

You will need to buy some credits for Scotlands People to check these out. It's a pay to view site. As both deaths are over 50 years ago, then you will be able to view the full death certificate. The information shown may help you to determine if you have found the correct death. The site will tell you what information you should find on the certificate, but the detail given will depend on the knowledge of the person registering the death.

Only 2 possibles coming up with both Henry and James as Forenames. (There are 40 if you just look for Henry)

Your SR Deaths Search Returns
You searched for: Surname: "wilson"; Surname Option: Exact; Forename: "henry james"; Forename Option: Prefix; Sex: "Any"; Year From: 1901; Year To: 1962; Birth Year: 1862; Birth Year Range: 5;

Jump to page: of 1 (2 records)
No Year Surname
/Maiden Name Forename Mother's
Surname Other Surnames S ex A ge District City/County/MR GROSData
1 1931 WILSON HENRY JAMES M 69 HAMILTON /LANARK 647/00 0172
2 1936 WILSON JAMES HENRY M 76 MACDUFF /BANFF 155/A2 0013

Credits on SP will also allow you to look at the 1911 census of Scotland which is not available elsewhere. Credits cost £7 for 30. Results as noted above will cost 1 credit, to look at and download a certificate/census will be 5 credits.

matthew

matthew Report 16 Jun 2016 23:15

Thanks so much for the help greyghost, best.

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 17 Jun 2016 10:33

Matthew, what were the names of your gg grandparents.

I had eight credits left so I downloaded the Lanark 1931 death.

If you let me know his parents' names I will put in on here if it is the correct one. Alternatively I can "strike that one off the list"

Jude

matthew

matthew Report 17 Jun 2016 11:18

Hi Jude my gg grandparents names were John and esther but as they returned to England when Henry as a baby he might have thought other people were his real parents, thanks so much for offering to help, best x.

Dea

Dea Report 17 Jun 2016 11:29

In case the birth date helps with the death info Jude, I think this will be him?

Henry James Wilson
Scotland Births and Baptisms
Name Henry James Wilson
Gender Male
Birth Date 15 Nov 1862
Birthplace HUTCHESONTOWN,GLASGOW,LANARK,SCOTLAND
Father's Name John Wilson
Mother's Name Esther Brotherton

Dea x

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 17 Jun 2016 11:30

The parents on the death certificate are Henry Wilson (deceased) master hairdresser and Agnes Fourcest(?) deceased

Henry James was a hatter and hosier - married to Emma Thompson. Son George was the informant

Jude

Dea

Dea Report 17 Jun 2016 11:40

That one appears to be a different Henry James :-(

Henry James Wilson
Scotland Births and Baptisms
Name Henry James Wilson
Gender Male
Birth Date 30 Aug 1861
Birthplace HAMILTON,LANARK,SCOTLAND
Father's Name Henry Wilson
Mother's Name Agnes Forrest

Dea x

matthew

matthew Report 17 Jun 2016 11:42

Does it list the cause of death? Thanks again to all xx

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 17 Jun 2016 11:45

Progressive muscular dystropy and myocarditis - but as Dea says...it's probably not your's.

I don't have any credits left now to look at the other one

Jude

Dea

Dea Report 17 Jun 2016 11:48

Matthew - could you post the 1871 census you have with him on please for reference?

Thanks,

Dea x

matthew

matthew Report 17 Jun 2016 11:54

Sorry, still got a genes subscription but out of credits, it's def the november 1862 hutchestown mentioned with esther brotherton John wilson as parents, I can't understand why they took younger son Edward back home to England and left Henry behind, there's only I need Henry j mentioned on census in Lanarkshire born 1862, best x

Dea

Dea Report 17 Jun 2016 11:57

Who is he with on that 1871 census as I can't see him, only the other Henry James.

Also - are the parents in England by then and if so, where and what are their details please?

Dea x

greyghost

greyghost Report 17 Jun 2016 13:04

Is this the marriage of his parents?? FMP is showing that I've looked these up before, so do you have another thread about the family (or does someone else) ?? Either way it's a big coincidence.

First name(s) JOHN
Last name WILSON
Marriage quarter 1
Marriage year 1862
Registration month -
MarriageFinderâ„¢ JOHN WILSON married one of these people
ESTHER BROTHERTON, ADELAIDE PERRY
District WOLVERHAMPTON
District number -
County Staffordshire
Country England
Volume 6B
Page 558
Record set England & Wales marriages 1837-2008
--------------------------------

Staffordshire marriages Transcription

First name(s) John
Last name Wilson
Age 19
Birth year 1843
Marriage year 1862
Marriage date 21 Jan 1862
Marriage place Wolverhampton, St John
Denomination Anglican
Residence Paradise Street
Father's first name(s) James
Father's last name Wilson
Spouse's first name(s) Esther
Spouse's last name Brotherton
Spouse's age 18
Spouse's residence Dudley Road
Spouse's father's first name(s) Edward
Spouse's father's last name Brotherton
County Staffordshire
Country England
Archive reference D3785/1/6
Page 206

EDIT - safc added further info re marriage on other thread. John's Father listed as James Wilson - a Tiinman - as is John

matthew

matthew Report 17 Jun 2016 13:09

Hi Dea, John and esther returned to Wolverhampton w here my g grandad robert was born 1864, John died there six years later, his son Samuel was born same year and daughter Elizabeth born Birmingham 1868 but I'm having trouble finding details on their eldest abandoned child Henry James wilson born 1862, thanks x

matthew

matthew Report 17 Jun 2016 13:12

Hi grey ghost, yes that was me, I made a new account when I changed banks, that last post was about John a Nd esther which I've got some more information on now but this question was about their son Henry James wilson, best x

Dea

Dea Report 17 Jun 2016 13:19

I would REALLY like to see the details of that 1871 scottish census with Henry James on it !!

Are you absolutely sure that he was 'left behind' and did not die?

Who was he left behind with please?

Dea x

greyghost

greyghost Report 17 Jun 2016 13:22

Well, here's the thread from Matthew re John Wilson (and Esther) which is where I'd posted the Staffs marriage before.
Looks as though John himself was born in Scotland c 1842 and was in Wolverhampton on the 1861 census - a tinplate worker

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1355118

It may explain why the family were in Glasgow if John had family there.

greyghost

greyghost Report 17 Jun 2016 13:37

1871 for Esther with family

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Horseley Fields, Lower, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Easter Wilson Head - Female 27 1844 - London, Middlesex, England
Edward Wilson Son - Male 8 1863 - Scotland
Robert Wilson Son - Male 6 1865 - Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
Elizabeth Wilson Daughter - Female 3 1868 - Birmingham, Warwickshire
Samuel Wilson Son - Male 1 1870 - Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
George Cousins Boarder - Male 30 1841 - Warwickshire, England
Sarah Cousins Boarder - Female 24 1847 - Shropshire, England

Esther shows as a Widow on the original and is a Shopkeeper.
Places of birth added from original - transcript just has counties

matthew

matthew Report 17 Jun 2016 14:05

I have no certainty that Henry James lived past 1862, only that a Henry James appears in Hamilton as hat maker in later Lanarkshire census or at least I thought he did until latest posts. My wilson line stops dead with John wilson, he put his dad down as james but if james did come from Glasgow then I can't find him, when Esther's husband died she listed him as only son of John? So maybe she mistook james for John but said he lived in chapel ash wolverhampton x