Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

James Dalrymple 1879

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Flip

Flip Report 28 Dec 2018 21:59

Hi all, looking for some help for a cousin on the above please

James was born Rasharkin N.Ireland 17/4/1879 and married Rose (or Rosetta) McErlaine 15/6/1898. They were in Scotland on the 1901 census together with son Robert (1 month) and daughter Mary (1 year). Both parents recorded as age 22, born Ireland.

James appears to have disappeared around 1903/4 and his wife was in the workhouse (or so I'm led to believe) and children taken back to Ireland to be looked after by other family members.

We're trying to find out what happened to him - did he emigrate or die or what? I'm not coming up with anything, but don't have a worldwide sub.
As always, any help would be greatly appreciated :-D

greyghost

greyghost Report 28 Dec 2018 22:07

Just to place the family -

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census
31, Ellis Street, Old Monkland, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, Scotland

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
James Dalrymple Head Married Male 22 1879 Iron Mill Furnaceman Ireland
Rosetta Dalrymple Wife Married Female 22 1879 - Ireland
Mary M Dalrymple Daughter - Female 1 1900 - Ireland
Robert J Dalrymple Son - Male 0 1901 - Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Peter Carlin Lodger Married Male 28 1873 Mill Ruffer Iron Works England

Flip

Flip Report 28 Dec 2018 22:23

Thanks Greyghost that's the family.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 28 Dec 2018 22:31

Might be worth finding out if the Poor Relief records have survived as his wife should have a record if she was in the workhouse. Not sure if surviving records for Lanarkshire would be held in The Mitchell Libray in Glasgow.

greyghost

greyghost Report 28 Dec 2018 22:32

Surname Forename Year Gender Age at Census Ref RD Name County/ City Image View
DALRYMPLE
ROSETTA
F
655/1 5/ 23
Shotts (Middle District)
Lanark

A Rosetta Dalrymple is in an institution in 1911 - listed as Married, a Housewife born Coatbridge, Lanarks. And a Lunatic (as are rest of those listed)

There is a 1953 Death record for a Rosetta Dalrymple aged 73 in Calderhead RD Ref. 626/B 77

Flip

Flip Report 28 Dec 2018 22:43

I think greyghost is spot on with the 1911 census, and the death - matches what my cousin has found so far. What we are trying to find is what happened to James who appears to have disappeared after the birth of his 3rd child Daniel born in 1903 in Coatbridge Scotland.

I'll try to check out the poor relief records rootsgatherer but not that familiar with what is available in Scotland's records - thanks for the suggestion. All help greatly appreciated!

greyghost

greyghost Report 28 Dec 2018 22:50

Name JAMES DALRYMPLE
Date of Birth 1879
Group Registration ID 8947451
SR District/Reg Area Ballymoney
Sex N/R
Mother's Birth Surname N/R

Image shows
Superintendent Registrar's District of Ballymoney
Registrar's district Dirraw
County of Antrim

birth 17 April 1879
Father - Robert Dalrymple of ? Gortreighy a Labourer
Mother - Mary Dalrymple formerly ?McKernan
Registered by Martha Kearney present at birth

Flip

Flip Report 28 Dec 2018 22:52

That's him greyghost, but we need to find out what happened to him after his latest sighting on the 1901 census. Did he die, or go abroad - he just disappeared from his family?

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 28 Dec 2018 22:52

Presumably you have eliminated this death?

DALRYMPLE
JAMES
RUSSELL
626/B 12
Calderhead

There is another James Dalrymple in Stonehouse (also born Ireland) on the 1901 census, so that death could be his.

greyghost

greyghost Report 28 Dec 2018 22:56

I know what you're looking for, but posting what I find - mmn may help on other records

If birth record correct, it would eliminate the death posted above (mmn listed as Russell not as that on birth record).

Flip

Flip Report 28 Dec 2018 22:58

Hi rootgatherer, what does Russell refer to please, not that familiar with Scotland's records?

Flip

Flip Report 28 Dec 2018 23:02

Thanks greyghost, know what your're trying to do, and I really appreciate it. Not sure how you eliminate the death, you obviously know much more than I do on Scottish records.

All my family were English, so I've not delved into Ireland/Scotland until recently - it's a whole new ball game!

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 28 Dec 2018 23:09

The Russell is the mother's maiden name. As I was posting Greyghost found his birth showing his mother's maiden name so that death is probably the other James Dalrymple in Lanakshire born around the same time in Ireland. Unless, of course, the informant got the details wrong.

Flip

Flip Report 28 Dec 2018 23:15

Thanks rootgatherer, I hadn't appreciated the mmn was on Scotland's death records, so that does eliminate the death I believe.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 28 Dec 2018 23:17

Found by googling

Monklands Memories- Genealogy - general Information
www.monklands.co.uk/genealogy/northlan1.htm
Poor relief records for Lanarkshire and Dunbartonshire are held at Glasgow City Archives, The Mitchell Library, Glasgow. Police personnel records Surviving police personnel records where the successor force was Strathclyde Police are held at Glasgow City Archives, The Mitchell Library, Glasgow.

So the records are at The Mitchell. They won't be online but they will have been indexed so it may be worth contacting the library to ask if they will check the indexes for you. From personal experience I know these records often give a fair amount of family information.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 28 Dec 2018 23:18

Not all the indexes for Scottish deaths give the mmn.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 28 Dec 2018 23:28

1905 valuation rolls

Place Parish Year Reference Number Image View
DALRYMPLE
JAMES
Tenant Occupier
HOUSE NO 45C KIPPEN STREET
NEW MONKLAND
VR000100020-

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Dec 2018 23:44

An earlier thread about this family (from Jean on behalf of someone else) - I thought it sounded familiar:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1362017

The 1909 Calderhead death was already eliminated on that thread - that James's wife was Margaret.

Also on the other thread - Rosetta's 1953 death cert apparently says "married to" not "widow of" - though of course that may just have been what the informant thought.

Flip

Flip Report 29 Dec 2018 00:34

I hadn't appreciated there was an earlier thread so thanks for the link, I was looking at this for a newly found cousin (through ancestry DNA).

Doesn't look like anyone could find anything concrete about James though after the 1901 census in the previous thread and found again here. Sorry if I've made you all duplicate searches.

Dea

Dea Report 29 Dec 2018 07:50

Do we know why Rosetta could have been calling herself 'McMaron' ?

COATBRIDGE POLICE COURT.
—Rosetta McMaron or Dalrymple, 45 Picken Street, Airdrie, was fined 10s or seven days for being drunk while in charge of two children.—
08 July 1905 - Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser - Airdrie, Lanarkshire

Dea x

EDIT:
Silly me, I have just remembered that 'scottish thing' about women, once they are married, being referred to by both their surnames with an 'or' in between!! :-S So, this is probably a different Rosetta?? - I will leave it here though just in case.

Dea x