Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

trouble reading brith cert

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dominique

Dominique Report 4 Aug 2006 11:41

people are really going to start getting sick of me here! trying to read the birth cert of an Annie Thompson but can't read the writting - (why they couldn't write in print) have the file saved so can email any help would be great

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Aug 2006 11:42

I'll send you my e.mail addy ...... sent it ! Elaine ;-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Aug 2006 12:10

This is what I interpret it to read ! Annie Elizabeth Thompson February 24th 1886 ? at Maryhill Barracks Father: William Thompson. Soldier (Sergeant) Houssars ? Mother: Clara Eliza Thompson ( nee Harris ???) (nee Morris ???) Married: June 14th 1884 ... Folkstone ..Edham?? .. England Clara Thompson registered the birth on March 16th at Maryhill Would this sound about right ?? Elaine ;-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Aug 2006 12:15

That MIGHT read ELHAM !! ELHAM REGISTRATION DISTRICT Registration County : Kent. Created : 1.7.1837. Sub-districts : Elham; Folkestone; Hythe. GRO volumes : V (1837-51); 2a (1852-1930). Parishes in Kent (1837-1930): Acrise, Cheriton, Elham, Elmsted, Folkestone, Hawkinge, Hythe St. Leonard, Lyminge, Lympne, Monks Horton, Newington, Paddlesworth, Postling, Saltwood, Sandgate, Sellindge, Stanford, Stelling, Stelling Minnis, Stowting, Swingfield.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Aug 2006 12:33

From freebmd -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages Jun 1880 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ASHA** George ... Elham 2a 1450 Ashbee George ... Elham 2a 1450 May Emily Elizabeth A ... Elham 2a 1450 Morriss Clara Eliza ...Elham 2a 1450 THOMPSON William ... Elham 2a 1450

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Aug 2006 12:36

Nice one Gwyneth ! I was searching frantically for the marriage 1884 / 6 ... never dreamed it could read 80 !! I'll double check the image now !! Elaine ;-) yep ..it COULD be 80 ! the 0 is very faded down right hand side !

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Aug 2006 12:40

I wonder !!! Births Jun 1859 Morris Clara Eliza Elham 2a 681

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Aug 2006 12:42

1861 census: Name: Clara Morris Age: 2 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1859 Relation: Daughter Father's name: William Mother's name: Eliza Gender: Female Where born: Folkestone, Kent, England Civil parish: Folkestone Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch Town: Folkestone County/Island: Kent Country: England Registration district: Elham Sub-registration district: Folkestone ED, institution, or vessel: 7 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 165 Household Members: William Morris 30 Head - Mariner b Kent Eliza Morris 24 b Kent Clara Morris 2 Henry George May 43 - LODGER Harriett May 42 - Lodgers wife Henry George May 18 - Lodgers son Elaine ;-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Aug 2006 12:44

In 1881 it looks like Clara and her husband are in Aldershot with a young baby. Gwyn

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Aug 2006 12:47

If you can wait a little while( abt 2 weeks) I can check local church records for Folkestone area. PM if you want help, ... with details of what you need. Gwyn

Dominique

Dominique Report 4 Aug 2006 13:01

I'm getting so much more info then I asked for!!! This is brilliant!!! still trying to find out if the Annie ELizabeth Thopson is my gr granmother (shes the only one born in scotland around the right time) but theres loads all over England. ---------------------------------------------------------------- Could someone help me find the marriage cert of Annie and Edward Hughes please. (around 1914) Couldn't find any by that name married in scot found 1 in england for a Edward Hughes married 1912 jan-mar spouses name Thompson. district: prescot county: lancashire but when I typed in Annie Thopmson and the date and quarter I didn't get one - so is it the wrong thompson/hughes marriage?

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Aug 2006 13:26

Dominidue, Did Annie & Edward have any children ? if so ... give us the name and year of the FIRST born child .. or failing that, any name & year that you know about. Edward Hughes = Thompson Prescot March 1912 Ann Thompson = Hughes Prescot March 1912 I have my doubts that this is the correct marriage. Ann SHOULD be Annie E at the least ... and why Lancashire ? .... do you know they moved or lived in Lancashire at some point ? Elaine ;-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Aug 2006 13:35

Following on, and in connection with your other thread ... I can NOT find an IVY MARY Hughes born between 1912 - 1920 with Mothers Maiden Name Thompson ... in England or Wales. Was she born in Scotland ? If so, then you need to check the births .... and the marriage for her parents on Scotlands People ... or get someone to visit the Edinburgh Records Office. How sure are you that Ivy was born in 1917 ? .... COULD it have been after 1920 ? When did she die ??? and with what name ?? Elaine ;-)

Dominique

Dominique Report 4 Aug 2006 13:43

Got Ivy Marys Hughes death cert. year 1944 Surname: Hopton Fornames: Ivy Mary nee: Hughes Age:27 District/County: Paisley/ Renfrew date of death:03/05/1944 Married to: Dennis Austin Jefferies Hopton - compass adjuster Res: 53 Marshfield Avenue, Paisley Father: Edward Hughes - Quarryman Mother: Annie Elizabeth Hughes nee Thompson

Dominique

Dominique Report 4 Aug 2006 13:49

Ivy could very well have been born in scotland. My father was but when I asked my mum if I had any Scottish blood she said no. Ivy died after giving birth to twins because they left one of the placentsa in and it became infected. At her funeral my fathers twin brother, Michael died because they had left the babies by themselves and hadn't burped them so he suffocated/drowned Because of this the Hopton clan didn't talk about Ivy or her family. I do know tjough that she had a brother George who married a Dolly - they lived just north of London I think. We actually had contact with them after my parents divorced, but not with the Hoptons. Unfortunately they both died a few years ago. My mum has told be though that this side of the family comes from around London, never heard of a Lancashire connection though. Dennis A J Hopton (Ivys husband) then went on to marry a Ann Elizabeth nee? and they had a son named Alan

Dominique

Dominique Report 4 Aug 2006 13:55

good you asked about children - I had forgotten she had a brother George

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Aug 2006 14:05

So, Grandparents, William & Clara married in 1880 in Folkstone, but cos William was in the Army, they moved to Scotland where Annie Elizabeth was born and died. Chances are that Annie Elizabeth married in Scotland as well ... Looks as if Ivy Mary Hughes was also born and died in Scotland. I think you need a friend in Scotland ..... Elaine ;-) Ivy's MARRIAGE cert would give you her parents names as well .... jst to clarify what her Dad's name was

Dominique

Dominique Report 4 Aug 2006 14:11

this is a message I got from another lady I sent the documents too. she been having trouble reading it - but she came up with place of William Thompson & Clara Eliza Harris’ marriage – FALKLAND in Fife, which is only about 5 miles from Letham. what do you think? I've put a post up on the board for people going to edinburgh records office, haven't had any takers yet.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Aug 2006 14:19

Did the information about the marriage not say England. It would have to be a huge coincidence to find that a couple with the same names and occupation married elsewhere in the same time frame. It seemed that we were on the right track. What do YOU think? Gwyn

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Aug 2006 14:21

Since William and Clara say they married in ENGLAND, I can't see it myself .... Sorry to disagree, but it says Folkstone not Falklands, and it says Elham or Edlam ... followed by England underneath ... Elaine ;-) Mum's maiden name is DEFINATELY Morris .... The M is slightly faded so I mistook it for an h BUT thinking about it, it is a capital M with a long fist stroke on the M !