Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Doing a GEDCOM on FTM ?? Now how do I do Family o

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 28 Dec 2005 12:32

Want to save all info from FTM onto a CD before I try the 2006 version how do you do it?? File size is 986KB ;;; but CD disk says 700 MB How big is each thanks Comp Dumbo Babs (see below) Thank you all who took time to help me whatg the problem was is I did not highlite the file in the box and press open;; so the up-load didnt know where the files were located;; Once again many thanks another lesson from you good people not so dumb now Babs x x x ........................................ Can anyone tell me how to do a seperate GEDCOM of just one part of the Family only now ;;;;;;;; PLease Babs

Horatia

Horatia Report 28 Dec 2005 13:12

Hi, Why don't you save it to a floppy disk? A floppy disk holds 1.44 Megabytes. 1,024 Kilobyte (KB) = 1 Megabyte (MB) Cheers, Horatia

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 28 Dec 2005 13:34

Horatio, dont have any floppys;; only CD;; so sick of carry on with transfering FTM file elsewhere to keep it safe;; Tried to do gedcom from FTM followed all instuctions, went to ancestry and it said not a gedcom file, up-graded Tribal pages tried on there and again not Gedcom;; really doing my head in all I want is to save all info somewhere safe as the new 2006 is in dif; format and becomes unreadable once changed;; Babs

Elaine

Elaine Report 28 Dec 2005 13:42

If you know where your file is kept on your hard drive you can just copy it across to a CD If not - export your file from FTM. Go to File, down to export - if you´re using Windows XP you will probably get a box come up with My Computer on the left hand side. Click on this and select your CD drive. Click OK. File should be exported onto CD and you can then import it again at a later date if you wish.

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 28 Dec 2005 13:54

Elaine; as far as I know daughter did this onto a CD but when we read the write up about dif; format she said the CD one we had done was only back up and not full file ;; but I thought a back up would be of the full file;; Babs

Elaine

Elaine Report 28 Dec 2005 14:04

Am sure it would be a full file. I have exported file like this when I wanted to move my info from one computer to another. However, have just checked my FTM 2005 - go to file, and then down to backup - gives you an option of backing up onto CD. You can also find your current FTM file on the computer . Go to start and then select find. Select all files and folders. If your family tree file is named SMITH then type SMITH into the find box. You should then come up with a list of where your SMITH file is held . Your master file will have FTW family file next to it and today´s date if you have opened the file today. Make a copy of this file and copy it on to your CD.

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 28 Dec 2005 14:09

Thanks for that Elaine;; have a friend going to check on his comp the CD I have already to see if it is full file;; Have you ever done a GEDCOM from your FTM to export to another site;; I have done 2 now yet when I go to other sites they say its not a GEDCOM and I followed instructions to the letter thats how come I have the 2 Babs

Horatia

Horatia Report 28 Dec 2005 14:11

Hello, Gedcoms and FTW files are two different things. When you export from the Family Tree Maker Software there is a 'Save As Type' drop down box. From here you can select FTW (Family tree Windows file) or Gedcom. It depends which you want to export. A gedcom can normally be read by any family tree software but a FTW file would normally only be read by the Family Tree Maker software (I think). Cheers, Horatia

Elaine

Elaine Report 28 Dec 2005 14:13

When you export your file - you must select the file type you want - drop down section at bottom of box, just under file name. Click on the file type and select GEDCOM - otherwise it will export it as a FTW file

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 28 Dec 2005 14:14

Yes did that and on comp it says GED at the end ;;; but ancestry and tribal pages say its not one ;; great ehh babs

Elaine

Elaine Report 28 Dec 2005 14:16

Sorry - give up!!!! Elaine

Horatia

Horatia Report 28 Dec 2005 14:18

Hi, Are you using the Gedcom for DOS or the other option for Gedcom? Cheers, Horatia

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 28 Dec 2005 14:23

Horatio dont know what you mean by DOS and what other option ?? Babs

Horatia

Horatia Report 28 Dec 2005 14:28

Hi JingleBellsBabs, In the drop down box (Save As Type) there are TWO types of Gedcom. I am wondering if you are choosing the Dos type rather than the other Gedcom option. If you look at the software and attempt to export the Gedcom again, you will see what I am talking about. Cheers, Horatia

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 28 Dec 2005 14:32

Thanks Horatio ; just got company will have a look just now and let you know how I get on;; Babs

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 28 Dec 2005 14:59

Poor Horation stuck with 2 of us;;;;; sorry no did not use DOS version, but when you press save the box comed up destination with as follows; FTM FTW Templeready Paf Roots so now what;; Babs ps following other thread as well now and will print off later with this;;

Horatia

Horatia Report 28 Dec 2005 15:16

Ahhh! So are you exporting from the LDS (Latter Day Saints) software or Family Tree Maker Software?Because I rather got the impression that we were talking about exporting from Family Tree Maker Software. They are two separate programmes; both of which I have on my PC but the exporting process is different for both of them. Let me know which you want to export from. Cheers, Horatia

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 28 Dec 2005 16:33

Horatio; I want to export from FTM and my comp is windows XP office when I do the export it goes to screen my documents ;; go to bottom line and do GEDCOM next box up file name ;; then press save and thats when is comes up another box with destination and prev list comes down;; so I must be doing something wrong;; FTM is suppose to be 2005 says version 10 Babs

Horatia

Horatia Report 28 Dec 2005 17:32

JingleBabs, If you had a floppy disc, we could have this done and dusted in two shakes. The only reason I can think that you are having problems is that you already have a gedcom on your PC and there is a message coming up asking if you want to over write the previous gedcom. Cheers, Horatia

Heather

Heather Report 28 Dec 2005 17:42

Did we go through this the other day or was that someone else? On FTM, open the program so you are looking at a page of your people. Click on file. Click on export. Click on export entire file (assuming thats what you want). Box comes up - give it a name with ged on the end. Go down to the next box and save as GED - I think its the last one on the list. It should then tell you you have saved and a little icon will come up probably on your worktop with FTmaker symbol.? Just reread your message. So you then want to save it to a cd? Get a rewritable cd if you are saving it for yourself and want to keep updating it, like I do. Click on file and click on back up. A little box comes up, click on save to writable cd and that should be it. Obviously bung your cd in the drive! It then goes through a back up and will tell you the info is saved and your cd will eject.