Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help ME please! is 1861 pushing my luck...?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

The Bag

The Bag Report 26 Sep 2005 22:04

Anyone that has ancestry and wants something to do. * 1871 found - just 61 to go!

The Bag

The Bag Report 26 Sep 2005 22:04

i am trying to trace who was at a particular place in various census years. the 'PLACE' is Great Houghton Hall, in the village of Great Houghton in northamptonshire. Great houghton Hall is now a prep school and will be interesting for the childrn to know names of people and servants etc. my problem is this: Found 1901 One family - not in the village in 1891 found 1881 - Not there 1891 either! CANT find 1891! The whole village is at most 16 pages of images. To help, the hall is bang next door to the church, so you think i'd be able to find it.. NOT BURNTWOOD HALL - different place

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Sep 2005 22:08

Give me 5 minutes Jess and Ill be back to look. Gwyn

Jo Jo

Jo Jo Report 26 Sep 2005 22:15

Jess, will have a look also, although I am not very quick. JoJo

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Sep 2005 22:16

I'm back to start looking. Gwyn

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Sep 2005 22:17

Jess Do you mean whole village is missing?

Merry

Merry Report 26 Sep 2005 22:20

I tried looking in Quinton too in 1891 out of desparation, as in 1881 that district was the next one lol....! Would you want 1871? I don't think it's actually listed by name on that one, but (from memory) I think on page 3 of the enumeration district for Great Houghton (might have been page 4?), there was obviously a large house with lots of servants. Wondered if that was it? Merry

The Bag

The Bag Report 26 Sep 2005 22:20

The village is there- it Great houghton hall that is missing!! Ruddy great sandstone building that seems to have disappeared of the face of the earth between 1881 and 1901! hadn't found 71 either actually - problem is , there was also a BURNTWOOD HOUSE/HALL

Carol

Carol Report 26 Sep 2005 22:23

Dear Jess, Have looked through the Great Houghton pages. The description of the ED says it covers the whole of the civil parish of Gt Houghton. The whole of the village including Townsend Lodge and Sargeant's Lodge. If they were including Gt Houghton Hall, surely they would have mentioned it in the description. Otherwise, all the addresses are 'village', two PHs and the Church, next door to which is a house where a domestic gardener and his family are living. Is it possible they could have included the house in the next-door ED? Sorry haven't been able to shed any light. Will look in neighbouring ED. Regards, Carol

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Sep 2005 22:26

Hi Jess I am feeling really guilty as I can't help you and you have helped me so much. I do have ancestry but don't know where to look. If I can look up anything let me know.

The Bag

The Bag Report 26 Sep 2005 22:27

Carol - thanks you for looking - i cant imagine that it would be listed anywhere else but in the village, It isn't slap bang in the middle but its certainly not out on a limb anywhere. jess x

Merry

Merry Report 26 Sep 2005 22:28

Flippin' a2a thinks Great Houghton Hall is in the West Riding of Yorkshire! Merry

The Bag

The Bag Report 26 Sep 2005 22:29

Jewels, dont be so daft - ! if you want to have a ferret about just put GREAT HOUGHTON in the civil parish box, and northamptonshire in county, click on anyones Image icon and you are in there

The Bag

The Bag Report 26 Sep 2005 22:30

Merry - look out for Houghton hall too , thats norfolk!! ours is deffo GREAT HOUGHTON HALL

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 26 Sep 2005 22:33

Hi Jess, having just looked at a 1886 map, there is no great Houghton hall at great Houghton, but across from st mary's church there is a building called ( The Hall ) Hope this helps Roy

Merry

Merry Report 26 Sep 2005 22:35

These were the folks in 1871 I was thinking of - He's a brewer, but they have LOADS of servants..... Eliza J Arch abt 1853 Mears Ashby, Northamptonshire, England Servant Great Houghton Northamptonshire Arthur W Coales abt 1861 Titchmarsh, Northamptonshire, England Son Great Houghton Northamptonshire Edith J A Coales abt 1864 Titchmarsh, Northamptonshire, England Daughter Great Houghton Northamptonshire Florence E Coales abt 1868 Titchmarsh, Northamptonshire, England Daughter Great Houghton Northamptonshire Gertrude L D Coales abt 1863 Titchmarsh, Northamptonshire, England Daughter Great Houghton Northamptonshire Ida C M Coales abt 1866 Titchmarsh, Northamptonshire, England Daughter Great Houghton Northamptonshire Kate E Coales abt 1862 Titchmarsh, Northamptonshire, England Daughter Great Houghton Northamptonshire Kate G Coales abt 1837 Guildford, Surrey, England Wife Great Houghton Northamptonshire Mary Coales abt 1870 Gt Houghton, Northamptonshire, England Daughter Great Houghton Northamptonshire Nona K Coales abt 1869 Harpole, Northamptonshire, England Daughter Great Houghton Northamptonshire Thomas Coales abt 1833 Titchmarsh, Northamptonshire, England Head Great Houghton Northamptonshire Fanny G Finney abt 1833 Middlesex, England Wifes Sister Great Houghton Northamptonshire Thomas W Gibbons abt 1853 Daventry, Northamptonshire, England Servant Great Houghton Northamptonshire Joseph J Jewkins abt 1845 Corfe Mullen, Dorset, England Servant Great Houghton Northamptonshire Mary A Lunn abt 1848 Alvesdte, Warwickshire, England Servant Great Houghton Northamptonshire Harriett Meekins abt 1825 Salisbury, Wiltshire, England Servant Great Houghton Northamptonshire Mary A Moy abt 1841 Gt Dunham, Northamptonshire, England Servant Great Houghton Northamptonshire Susan Ann Semmons abt 1854 Oxfordshire, England Servant Great Houghton Northamptonshire Merry

Pete

Pete Report 26 Sep 2005 22:36

Just did a quick check of the Historical Directories website. According to the 1890 Kelly's H E SULLIVAN was resident. Henry E SULLIVAN (retired Indian civil service) and family are in Great Houghton but the name of their home is not included in the census return. I'll have a look at the enumerators desription and see if that helps. Pete

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 26 Sep 2005 22:37

Jess sorry I can't find a thing.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 26 Sep 2005 22:39

Hi Jess If it is a 'Big House' then the family may be in London for the season, or travelling on the Continent. The children, if any, may be at Boarding school. In those circumstances, there may only be a housekeeper there, or just a couple at the lodge. Have you looked at any old directories, which would definitely give you the name of the owner/occupier at the time? You might then be able to trace them if they were 'away on the night of the census'.

Pete

Pete Report 26 Sep 2005 22:40

1891 census Name: Sullivan, Henry E Age: 60 Estimated birth year: abt 1831 Relation: Head Gender: Male Where Born: Marylebone, London Birth Country: England Civil parish: Great Houghton Ecclesiastical parish: Great Houghton Town: Great Houghton County/Island: Northamptonshire Source information: RG12/1192 Registration district: Hardingstone Sub registration district: Hardingstone ED, institution, or vessel: 7 Folio: 101 Page: 11