General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Happy Oestre

Page 0 + 1 of 13

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 2 Apr 2012 09:35

Its the start again of the spring fertility festival season, and next weekend millions of people will be eating easter eggs, cuddling rabbits and saying 'Happy Easter' without having the faintest idea that it is a pagan festival hijacked by the church.

The council of Nicea set the date of easter to coincide with the various pagan festivals, so as to better integrate the growing cult of christianity into the parts of the roman empire that were not yet believers. The rabbit and the egg, and even the name oestre (various spelling of goddesses of fertility) are all leftovers of this period. It was the same council of Nicea that decided, in the 4th century, which books should be in the bible. The head of the council was the emperor Constantine, who decided christianity would be the new official roman religion as it suited his political purposes at the time.

Many academics believe that the story of the resurection was plagiarised from the centuries older story of Attis, a pagan deity born of a virgin (a common thing for stone age gods) who died, lay in a cave for 3 days then came back to life. Then again, the story of jesus is almost identical to the story of Appolonius of Tyana, another wandering preacher and philosopher of the time who healed the sick and performed miracles. There were lots of prophets and messiahs around in those days, it was very fashionable.

So enjoy your easter, and remember why you are buying eggs and chocolate rabbits. And those who feel like running naked round the garden and jumping over log fires, drop me a pm

:-D :-D :-D

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 2 Apr 2012 10:13

of to light my green candles and jasmine,
and have buns ham n egg for breakfast ;-)

passes round hot cross buns, and sprinkles egg shells ont he lawn :-D :-D

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 2 Apr 2012 10:15

I actually found that a very interesting post !!!

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Apr 2012 10:16

? well I missed the controversial opening lol...and there was me sitting here thinking about posting a thread on the film I watched last night 'Michael Collins' ...and the Easter Rising.. maybe not then ? lol

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 2 Apr 2012 10:16

Didn't get a chance to read it :-(

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 2 Apr 2012 10:17

You little ripper!!!

I finally got a RR !!!!!!

xxxxxxx mick

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 2 Apr 2012 10:17

Lol i didnt know we had the archbishop of canterburyshire on the site!

Hahaha

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 2 Apr 2012 10:18

It was a scholarly dissertation about the history of Easter going
back to the Emperor Constantines time. Most interesting.

xxxx mick

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 2 Apr 2012 10:19

Yep - all you can do is laugh!

xxxxx mick

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 2 Apr 2012 10:19

:-D :-D :-D congratulations mc, after all this time ;-) ;-)

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 2 Apr 2012 10:20

You have to be quick! It was just explaining the origins of the word easter and why we have rabbits and eggs as symbols.

'bringing in the sheaves, bringing in the sheaves.......' anyone got a spare tambourine. Now everyone smile and clap with me 'bringing in the sheaves.....etc'

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 2 Apr 2012 10:22

Well I did not see the OP but i do see yet again that our RR button still work's and from the threads posted in recent time it appears to be the only thing on this site that is still working without the dreaded error message

Roy

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 2 Apr 2012 10:23

Mick...........Chuffed to bits for you !!...your first RR!!! It is indeed a momentous day lol x

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 2 Apr 2012 10:23

mayeb its coz you mentioned furry little animals, or it could be somone whos got an allergy to eggs that too offence haha

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 2 Apr 2012 10:27

Maybe its because I mentioned button pressing nitwits........?

xxxxx mick

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 2 Apr 2012 10:28

Doesnt bother me in the slightest, lol. Famine, war, child abuse, that sort of thing bothers me, but not having a post removed on an obscure website in the uninteresting western arm of the galaxy.

Its just another anecdote for my secular friends to listen to and thats about it on the scale of importance, tbh.

Anyone who thinks that they can profit their religion by silencing people is only doing what religions are best at, sticking their fingers in their ears and singing lal lalala lala lalalallal . It's funny to watch :-)

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 2 Apr 2012 10:29

yea i think nits are banned on here makes us all scratch out heads haha

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 2 Apr 2012 10:30

It just reminds me why I spend most of my time on the "Backyard chickens" website these days - far more intelligent debate!

xxx mick

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Apr 2012 10:33

blinky nora........first time in lots of hours,,,,,,,,,I'm sour now.

but fair dinkum Mick,,,,,,,,,you little beauty,,,,,,,but as its the 2 nd today I cant call you an April fool......but congrats on your very lubbly jubbly RR......well done mate......xx

E-------- :-D :-D :-D :-D now what you done,,,,upsetting the fluffs....... ;-) ;-) ;-) <3

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 2 Apr 2012 10:34

Backyard chickens? I like it. I bet you are right at the top of the pecking order on there.

Hahahahaha