General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Terrorist attack ............. on Canada!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Oct 2014 18:40

OH wakes me up as he gets up at 8:15 am ............... late, he'd wanted to be up early.

Turn on the radio ................. terrorist attack on Parliament Hill in Ottawa beginning around 9 am. They are 3 hours ahead of us ......... and that would have been about 2 pm UK time

One of the soldiers on guard at the National War Monument was shot ............ and has since died.

Gunman got the short distance to Central Block of Parliament .............. all MPs and staffers, and many journalists and others were there as this is caucus morning. The gunman got into the Block, but was shot dead by the Commons Sergeant-at-Arms.

A second person is believed to be still inside the Central Block, and it is thought there may be at least one more in the area

So far known that 3 people have been taken to hospital with shotgun wounds, one was the soldier, other 2 said to be stable.

Ottawa full of tourists, people going to work etc. There have been several reports that at least one of the gunmen was wearing Islamic-style dress

I've got the radio on and the whole of Ottawa downtown is in shut down and blocked off.

This follows a killing of another soldier on Monday in a Quebec town ......... a white man converted to Islam within the last 18 months drove his car at 2 soldiers in a parking lot. He then drove away, chased by police, and was later shot and killed by them.

we're far from Ottawa, about 3000 km ............... but it is shocking

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 22 Oct 2014 18:43

Just seen that on our news Sylvia, shocking indeed,
hope it ends soon.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Oct 2014 18:49

ISIS did threaten attacks in Canada the other week :-(

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 22 Oct 2014 18:50

I live not far from Ottawa and my son works there, in the downtown core. I wonder if he'll get home tonight. The downtown core seems to be locked down.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Oct 2014 18:54

Margee
I hope all is well with your son and he gets home without too much delay.

It is a frightening situation, when issues are brought into the cities and affect so many innocent people.

Keep safe all our Canadian friends.

Gwyn

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Oct 2014 18:59

Margee ...............

hope your son does get home!

it does sound as if it is all in lockdown ......... and Toronto Transit has announced there'll be higher security this evening on all transit

The Ottawa Senators hockey game has been cancelled / postponed ............... the opposing team is also in lock down as their hotel is in that area ............ I;d guess the Chateau or Westin

it's almost 2 pm there, isn't it?

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 22 Oct 2014 18:59

I also hope all is well with your son Margee.

Take care all.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 22 Oct 2014 19:09

Thank you all for your kind thoughts re: my son. He just phoned from Ottawa and everything's fine. He does suspect that his bus home will be delayed. He could actually see the War Memorial from his office window.

Since my husband just passed away 2 weeks ago today I certainly didn't need this added anxiety.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Oct 2014 19:12

Margee .............

I did not know that!

I am so sorry to hear it xxxx

and, no, you certainly did not need this anxiety ((((xxxxx))))

remember, we are here, you can always pm me if you want or need someone to talk to.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 22 Oct 2014 19:15

Margee I'm so sorry to hear this <3

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Oct 2014 19:19

Margee
I'm so sorry for your loss.

My thoughts are with you.

Gwyn

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 22 Oct 2014 19:23

Margee, my condolences too <3

I hope the situation in Ottawa is brought to end quickly and with no further loss of innocent life

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 22 Oct 2014 19:24

Thank you all so much.

My daughter tells me that I'm going through the stages of grief and I'm still in the denial stage. Next stage is anger so watch out, folks. Maybe I'll even start RRing posts in my anger.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 22 Oct 2014 19:25

Oh Margee.....so very sorry to hear this news. You certainly don't need any unnecessary stress at this time. Do take care of yourself. Cx :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Oct 2014 19:32

Margee, I am sorry to read this sad news.

I'm glad your son was able to phone and let you know he is ok.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Oct 2014 21:50

RIP, the fallen Canadian soldier

<3

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 22 Oct 2014 21:52

So very sorry to hear of your loss,Msrgee.

Big hug for you,my friend. <3 <3

If you need to take out some anger-do it on the Suggestions Board. No one reads it anyway.

Moxxxx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Oct 2014 01:07

It's now about 8 pm in Ottawa ..............

................. and much of the area around Parliament and downtown is still in lock down ..........

.............. security forces are still searching the Parliament building, and are uncertain as to whether there are still 1 or more accomplices around.

The leaders of the two Opposition parties are still in lock down safe places, and we are waiting to hear a national radio and TV address by the PM "shortly" .................... then the other 2 have to try to work out how they can respond to whatever has been said when they're hidden away!

AND they both hate the PM :-) so they really will want to respond!!!

The man killed in the Central Block, and believed to have killed the soldier, has been identified as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, 32 years old, a Quebecer ..................... who has been in trouble before with the law.

Drugs in Quebec, and robbery and uttering threats in BC

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Oct 2014 02:32

The worrying thing is both Quebec guys were converted to Muslum not born to it.
Toronto transit is indeed upgrading security mainly for the subways.
The soldier was unarmed and a reservist he didn't stand a chance.
This is with us having armed police everywhere every day, so UK be careful you're in their view too.
Ottawa is a lovely city much smaller than Toronto, you can easily run from the war memorial to the Parliament buildings in minutes. I'd like to know how this guy had a gun as we're not America where everyone carries one daily.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Oct 2014 04:07

Caroline ..................

I've heard he used a rifle

How could someone apparently run around carrying a rifle or long shotgun????