General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I have approx NO days left UPDATE pg 3

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 2 Feb 2015 18:47

of cigarettes. may be 5 if I leave my tree alone and OH who has run out of cigars doesn´t pinch them.

Once they have gone, they have gone and that´s it.

Beware of my snappy temper my irrational thinking .

A life time of smoking is not going to be easy to quit :-(

If I had to take a bet on whether I will succeed or not. I wouldn´t know where to put my money. Blody mindedness says I will succeed, lifestyle and addiction says I won´t.

:-D :-D :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 2 Feb 2015 19:06

Uzzi I wish you all the luck in the world, one day at a time...... <3

My Nan gave up after 75/80 years....she is nearly 5 years off them now,
I was always the culprit who used to sneak them to her.......

She still feels like one now and again but she never has......

<3

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 2 Feb 2015 19:08

Thanks Mersey I might need you to sneak me some :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 2 Feb 2015 19:09

I didn't hear that :-D ;-) :-D

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 2 Feb 2015 19:14

As long as ya read it Mersey you can be as deaf as you want :-D :-D :-D :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 2 Feb 2015 19:16

:-D :-D :-D ;-)

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 2 Feb 2015 19:28

If you last until Easter I will make a donation to a charity of your choice.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Feb 2015 20:03

Good luck Uzzi.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 2 Feb 2015 21:33

Good Luck, Uzzi.

I found it much easier than I expected. Take it one day at a time and congratulate yourself each day without a smoke.

One tip, which I found helpful, is to change your routine. So, if you always have a smoke after breakfast, make a point of getting up and doing something else before you have time to think about it. :-) :-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 3 Feb 2015 00:20

Best of luck Uzzi, you can do it, one day at a time.

After a while you will notice how other people who still smoke, smell when you stand next to them or pass them in the street. I haven't smoked since I was in my early twenties, except for the odd one socially now and again but it never makes me want to start again.

Lizxx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Feb 2015 00:41

I quite smoking 24 years ago, after having smoked since I was in my teens.

I did have help ..................... laser acupuncture. It worked for me, did not work for the friend I went with

But Andy'smum's tip is a good one

I used to sit after a meal and have a cigarette .................. best to get up, and even go for a walk outside.

That was one tip given to me by the guy who did the treatment, other tips from him included ..................

drink lots of water to help flush the nicotine out of your system

try to stay out of situations where others are smoking, eg bars

smoking is also a physical habit ................. the action of lifting your hand holding the cigarette to your mouth, and the sucking in of smoke which exercises the cheek muscles. You have to overcome these "habits" as well.

He suggested getting a plastic coffee stir stix, hold it in your fingers and play with it, even put it to your mouth and pretend to suck on it by making that sucking motion with your mouth and cheek muscles.

Good luck!

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 3 Feb 2015 06:01

Thanks for all the support. I am finding that I am cutting down ready now whether that is to prolong how many ciggies I have or a weaning off the weed I am not sure.

I automatically cut down when with non smoking friends so hubby packing up also will be a help :-D.
The one I will miss most will be my early morning smoke and coffee whilst the world sleeps around me.

Errol I will hold you to that :-D

I will keep you informed as to how I get on.

wisechild

wisechild Report 3 Feb 2015 06:29

With you all the way Uzzie.
Have managed to cut down to 4 or 5 a day for the past 6 weeks, but don´t seem to be able to make the complete break.
I´m sure it´s psychological. No encouragement from OH. Just constant remarks about my smoking too much if he happens to see me, so I find myself having a crafty drag every time he is out of sight, whether I really want one or not.
Quite proud that I have cut my consumption by 20 a day, so a bit of encouragement would go a long way.
Well done you. Really hope you succeed.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 3 Feb 2015 09:59

Wisehild we shall encourage each other :-D I still have approx 4 days of ciggies here, having eeked out my stash last night. So when they have gone it will be cold turkey sink or swim.

OH ran out of cigars yesterday so he will either cave and smoke my ciggies or encourage me to throw them away :-0
You need to tell OH that his comments are more likely to make you smoke than to encourage you to pack them in.
Well done you for cutting down as you have done just one more step to go. ;-)

wisechild

wisechild Report 3 Feb 2015 15:26

Uzzie.
An article in today´s newspaper says that you are better cutting down gradually than going cold turkey, especially if you have smoked for many years.
I had been sucking Ni Quitine lozenges for a couple of weeks to supplement the fags. Have almost run out so sent OH to the farmacia for a replacement supply.
They have been withdrawn from sale in Spain because of the risk of addiction!!!!!
He was offered a nicotine spray at €38, or nicotine gum at €12. Cheaper to keep smoking than buy the spray.
You are right about the encouragement.
I´m inclined to think s*d you.
:-P :-P :-P :-P

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Feb 2015 18:10

You can do it Uzzi. If my T managed to do it in 1994, completely stopped, having failed before when trying by cutting down, then you can too. He did have to change his habit of having one first thing (as you do with a coffee.) So maybe delay the coffee while you do something else then you won't look for that one. These days he actually hates the smell.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 3 Feb 2015 19:08

Ann if I delayed my coffee I wouldn´t function :-D :-D I have to say the coffee is more important than the smoke at that time in the morning :-0 did I really say that ?

Even though I smoke I have never liked the smell of stale smoke so hopefully that will help.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 4 Feb 2015 00:36

Onward and upward Uzzi and Wisechild, treat yourself to something nice with the money you save, next year around this time you will be saying that it is a year since you stopped smoking!!

Lizxx

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 4 Feb 2015 08:32

one can only hope Liz xx

wisechild

wisechild Report 4 Feb 2015 08:47

Have to stop whether I like it or not.
Just had an electricity bill covering 20 Nov to 20 January. €211 .
If the government is stopping the winter fuel payment this year, we will freeze to death by next Christmas.
Thank goodness for "hottie bottles"