General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oh dear! Update page 2

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Oct 2015 18:05

Just had an altercation with my next door neighbours.
Well, they started it.
I've been babysitting my grandsons, whilst my daughter went to work (holding a Saturday clinic for expectant mums and those who have recently given birth)
As she left, she came across an accident between a car and bicycle.
She stayed to help.
She arrived here just after 5, slightly peed off, and parked outside next door, (the space outside my house being occupied with another car) only to have the 'lady' of the house open the door and ask if she'd be long, as her husband needed to park there.
Well, daughter explained that it was the road, not 'their' parking area.
'Lady' went on to say her hubby had bad legs.
Daughter then said, well, they could apply to the council for a disabled bay - then they could call it 'theirs'.
Apparently his legs aren't that bad.

This is the same bloke who dug foundations for the double skinned, insulated, double glazed breeze block 'shed' in his garden - with wood burning stove, put in by himself. He also laid decking, carted wheelbarrow loads of pebbles etc, with these 'bad' legs.

When daughter left, I went out to say goodbye - and the whole family next door came out to 'have a go'!!!
They let it all out. Sons and hubby insisting they have the right to park outside their house - my garden is a mess - the whole street is, apparently, complaining. My hedge 'hits her in the face' when she leaves her gate etc etc.
Well, I was going to trim the Leylandii this week, but now I won't. I'd hate them to think it was because of them. I also pointed out that a breezeblock and fake flower wonderland wasn't what I called a garden.
Must arrange to cut the grass and chainsaw down a buddliah (sp) cut up some logs (using chainsaw), and trim the hedge (using hedge trimmer) when they're in.
:-D I bet they complain.

Daughter mentioned the illegal building in their garden. No planning permission etc (we didn't mention the fact that, with foundations, they should have had an archaeological survey done). He mentioned the 'Portal' website, which is general building regulations, and is under the miscomprehension that, if he abides by them, it constitutes planning permission!!!
He's so sure he's right, he's suggested I report him :-0

I put up with 2 years of bandsaws, delivery lorries at the crack of doom, constant DIY in the garden, hammering at 10 o'clock at night, now they're slamming doors, thumping up and down the stairs (I never heard previous tenants going up and down stairs before), and have a really squeaky cupboard door. They also find it difficult to 'speak' at less than 90 decibels, and shout at bus drivers, if they have to move one of their, or their friends, cars that is parked outside my house (I'm on a corner). Using their analogy, I should permanently have an empty space outside my house, but they 'assume' their friends can park there.

I'm afraid my daughter called them arrogant, ignorant, hypocritical and pedantic.
They didn't know what the last 2 meant :-P :-P

I've been here over 25 years, they've been here 2 - as have their 'best friends' over the road. This doesn't give me any more rights, but to say the rest of the road complains about my garden really is going too far - I know the 'rest of the road' - they don't. I know this, as I have been asked 'what they're like' by other people in the road, and those who have been stuck on a stationary bus while the (adult) son has a major strop and shouts at the bus, because he has to move his car..... :-D

Robert

Robert Report 10 Oct 2015 18:24

Be strong, Maggie.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Oct 2015 18:39

I will be - it's a shame, as I WAS going to cut the leylandii this week.......

...and move the pile of branches (apparently 'rubbish') left last year as a hedgehog hibernation point.....

...and cut down the buddliah, now it's finished flowering - I hate them, but as it's self seeded, thought I might as well leave it for the butterflies. Shame it hangs over the 6ft fence and they can see it....... :-D :-D :-D :-D

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 10 Oct 2015 19:23

Get the kerb dropped have a parking space and rent it out to another (big) neighbour! :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Oct 2015 20:09

I'd have to cut down the Leylandii to make a parking space.
I've already cut them back - when I moved in they covered the pavement, now, when I trim them, they're level with my fence. I've also cut them down by about 6 feet, but a few bits have grown fast, and I have a couple of potential Christmas trees on top of the hedge now. :-(

Oh - the Leylandii are nowhere near them. I have a forsythia hedge near them then a gate and the leylandii are around the corner, and affect only me.
There used to be a hedge between our front gardens, with a yew in it that I was cultivating.
They dug out the hedge, put a fence in and 'helpfully' replanted the yew in my front garden. Of course, it died. It still stands there, brown and covered in bindweed, as a reminder of their decimation (and probably an eyesore to them)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 10 Oct 2015 20:50

If somebody's drive is empty your allowed to park in front of it
But if there's a car in a driveway

you are not allowed to park over it :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Oct 2015 21:04

No drive, no lowered kerb, just a small breezeblock square filled with cobbles (lower than the road, not big enough for a car), with squares at each corner for a plastic flower :-D

Although we're terraced, I'm end of terrace and 6 ft higher. (built on a hill)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Oct 2015 08:21

Not sure about that JoyBA but I am not au fait with parking legislation.

Maggie, let me tell you a story :-D

I was living overseas opposite a school. I came home from work early one day to find a car parked in my drive. I pulled in behind it and she (a female driver) pulled forward to let me in. I got out of the car, unlocked the front door and began to carry my bags of groceries in. I made her wait until I had put everything away but left the front door open as I could see her car from the kitchen.

When I went out she asked if I would move my car to let her out (through gritted teeth I think). 'Of course', said I, and added that I did not appreciate anyone parking in my driveway waiting for school to come out - or words to that effect (kept my cool though). She told me that people parked in the driveways all along that section of the road at school finishing time.

That meant three drives with all residents usually at work at 3.30. Nothing we could do about it (no fencing, only hedging allowed and all long drives). None of us lost any sleep over it though only hoped their cars were blocked in by others parking across the drives
:-D :-D :-D

Patricia

Patricia Report 11 Oct 2015 08:39

You pay car tax... So if no parking restrictions carry on parking..I know it's not nice being at logger heads with neighbours, but don't like them bully you....changing subject..does your daughter work in Wincester?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Oct 2015 10:16

I don't have a car, so have no problems with people parking outside my house - though I resent next door's son (the side I'm having problems with) parking his huge van there - it blocks the light, but I never say anything.

She used to work in the maternity unit in Winchester, Patricia. Now she does home visits and holds a clinic some Saturdays. Not sure where, could be Basingstoke.

Patricia

Patricia Report 11 Oct 2015 11:14

Ahh.. my grandson was born in Winchester last year, but is going to Basingstoke next year....
Ignorant that's what thy are.. surely thy must realise that a big van blocks light, but hey don't suppose they have the brains to think.. ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Oct 2015 11:33

...well, they wouldn't want to block out their own light, would they?
AND if it was parked outside their own house, daddy would have to park his car elsewhere, and walk another six feet!!

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 11 Oct 2015 13:04

In order to get a disabled bay outside your house I was advised....

I have to be the driver of the car and use a wheelchair, no other considerations are given.

If I use a wheelchair and husband drives then he can stop temporarily outside my house get me out and into the house then he can drive off and find a parking space.

Luckily everyone leaves our space empty because they know I use crutches and am definitely not up for a trek..lolol

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Oct 2015 13:38

He has nothing wrong with his legs, Sue. He's built the equivalent of a second home, complete with concrete foundations, in his garden. He's also put decking everywhere else, and wheelbarrowed tons of cobbles in to 'fill the gaps'!!!

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 11 Oct 2015 14:50

Then he can walk like everyone else who is fit enough :-D

Merlin

Merlin Report 11 Oct 2015 15:04

If you have a driveway and it has a dropped pavement in front of it,no one can park there irispective of whether your car is parked there.as for theother problem, :-D a rather large potato stuffed up the exhaust might get rid of the problem,other than that ,get intouch with the owners of the vehicle and inform them that it is antisocial behaviour by their driver which is causing problems.The potato seems the better option. :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Oct 2015 15:21

:-D :-D :-D Merlin.

I've just cut my not very long grass (out the back) and used the strimmer afterwards.
I hope I didn't disturb them :-D
I can't see them in the back garden - 6ft high fence.

I've left the rather uncouth front garden alone. That will be done when I know they're out, and can't watch me through their net curtains - or whenever :-D

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 11 Oct 2015 15:54

Cut it at night by moonlight :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Oct 2015 17:08

I have other neighbours - and show them consideration by not using mower/hedge trimmer/chainsaw unnecessarily - or too often :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Oct 2015 18:48

My kitchen window faces the kitchen window of 'The Towers'(We've bought Towers) next door and so that I don't get bored standing at the sink,they have put their wheely bins there.

They now have a six foot fence between the back gardens, so that I can't see them I suppose. I never bothered to look at them before.

Anyway, now there is the big fence between my back garden and that bit of yard where they congregate round the plastic table smoking, I have put my wheely bins right beside it.

It is only fair. They are giving me the pleasure of looking at their bins so I am letting them have a sniff of mine.