General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry tree.

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 14 Dec 2015 10:18

The new one is on Ancestry. The old one has gone.

Alan.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Dec 2015 10:23

RIP :-0

Although I've been using the 'new' one for a few weeks, it still feels too 'industrial'. The black background feels intimidating.
Would it help anyone with declining eye-sight or is it change for changes sake?

Andrew

Andrew Report 14 Dec 2015 10:25

What a mess.

Andy

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 14 Dec 2015 10:56

I find the fact page for individuals far too cluttered and time consuming.

You have to plough through all the info. I do not want to trawl through all the info about all siblings births, parents deaths etc. to find info about something else.

You could find all that info they've put into the life history facts at a glance on the old tree. It was clear and crisp. It was so easy when personal facts were listed chronically on the left and parents, siblings, husband/ wife and children were listed on the right with their birth/death if known shown. What was so wrong with that?

I have sent an e-mail of complaint and got an answer that just said they were proud of the new tree. Not one of my queries answered.

I have recently had an e-mail to check if my query/ies were answered. Well now they know they weren't. :-D Haven't heard back yet. ;-)

Kense

Kense Report 14 Dec 2015 11:11

I haven't got a black background. How do you get that?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Dec 2015 11:13

It's on the tree view, and I've no idea how. Doesn't everyone have it? :-S

Edit - actually it's a dark brown.

Kense

Kense Report 14 Dec 2015 11:18

Just looks light grey to me, with the top line being black..

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 14 Dec 2015 11:25

I nearly had a fit this morning when I realised that the Old Version had gone.

I actively avoided the new one but I'll just have to get on with it now.

My screen is mid brown...similar colour to my bedroom

I think it's called Malted Chocolate ! Lol

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 14 Dec 2015 11:25

I think it's brown the pink of the females blends to it.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Dec 2015 12:10

You can switch off the time line and then work from the tree tool - like that it is more or less the same as before. My background shows up as a charcoal color. The web application is now fairly close to the android app for tablets/phones.

If you have never llived in the USA it is difficult to appreciate just how short term the collective memory is - 100 years is eternity. Most of Ancestry's business is in the USA and this they have reshaped their product so as to appeal to a population who tend to have photos and movies going back a long way into the C20 but only a hazy idea of anything earlier.

My pet hate is the terrible way Ay deals with geographical names setting US place names instead of British Isles by default. Another one is their miserable attempt at setting the UK county location which is often out by as many as two counties ... the ensuing muddle created by laziness and ignorance is a sight to behold.

Anyway hang on to your FTM.

Potty

Potty Report 14 Dec 2015 12:13

I cannot view my uploaded images - all I get is the brown-grey background, two green rectangles at the top and another bigger one at the bottom with "{{'REMOVE CROP' I18N }} in it :-S

Alan

Alan Report 14 Dec 2015 13:48

I have the same problem as Potty.

I contacted Ancestry and was told to change to a different browser.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Dec 2015 14:54

I had two new hints this morning for folks who are in my tree

Both had actual birth dates rather than the circa ones I showed based on census ages so I decided to add them to the my record

There was no facility to do this from the actual hint .this used to be there to add as an amendment

I don't copy from other trees but was ok just to add an actual birth date which was the year before the circa ones I had picked up from the census .

Went around in circles trying to find the way to do it and gave up

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Dec 2015 14:57

I wonder what the new tree would look like printed out - I haven't tried it yet as my ink has just run out and haven't found the spare one.

What does this, at the top of the page mean "?It looks like you have local storage disabled. While you'll still be able to use the site, you may notice that pages load more slowly"

Are they just frightening people into putting their tree onto Ancestry or is just that I don't have my FTM synced in?

According to another another site, maybe their own blog, someone looked at the trees with a particular name a few weeks ago and has now found that most of them have been removed. A sure sign that there are unhappy people out there.

Kense

Kense Report 14 Dec 2015 15:13

It means your browser is not caching data.

http://ancestryau.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9355/~/how-to-enable-local-storage-on-your-browser

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Dec 2015 15:20

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Dec 2015 15:21

I've found out how to turn off Family Events - birth of siblings, children or their deaths etc.
On the the persons profile page there is black button 'show' and a downward arrow., to the right of Facts Click on that and click the ticked words to turn them off.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Dec 2015 16:10

if anybody is seeing the new Ay background as anything other than mid grey then either they have a display problem or color settings way out of wack.

How to avoid swearing while making pages responsive
http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/standards/responsive-presentation#/step-1

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Dec 2015 17:23

T
h
a
n
k
s

R
o
l
l
o

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Dec 2015 17:28

Someone mentioned how to turn of those.... stories a few weeks ago but I wish you could remove the map!

I much prefer using 'Facts' - it gets rid of the rubbish - but I do miss being able to go to the view that gave us three generations whilst listing the third - family view? Very useful when there are a dozen or so children.

I suppose we will get used to it but I need to do it fast as my little FH group meets tomorrow. :-|