General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

US Election

Page 0 + 1 of 10

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 7 Nov 2016 19:14

Seen from this side of the pond it reminds me more than anything of a playground fight at primary school.

I'll be glad when it's over but concerned about the outcome.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Nov 2016 20:44

it also looks like that from north of the US :-D

but the sad part is that DT does appeal to a very large group of people, commonly called red necks, who believe in carrying guns of all kinds, and who consider women well beneath them ................ their behaviour is very reminiscent of the 18th or 19 th centuries!

They're the guys who arrive at the border, and say "What do you mean? I can't bring my gun? It's my right!!"

Nope, it isn't in Canada!

One just has to hope that more people vote for her, or the world is in dire trouble!

David

David Report 7 Nov 2016 21:03

T says China is crippling US economy. He imports their steel to build his towers.
Hasn't a good word for Mexicans, yet he hires them to build his towers.
Did you his personalised jet was bought used from the vice CEO of Microsoft ?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 7 Nov 2016 21:07

From this side of the expanse,

Its cringeworthy and if I was related find it embarresing to say the least and wouldnt want either of the pathetic clowns.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Nov 2016 21:29

well, they're going to be stuck with one of them .......

........ and I think Hillary wold be the best option for them AND the world!

He's a clown, but I don't think she is a clown-ess!

David .......... if you dig and read about DT, you'll find that every single thing he has said on the campaign trail is the complete opposite of he himself personally acts!

He doesn't OWN many of the hotels and other things ............. he lets another company use his name for a monetary return.

Most of the Trump Hotels are this ... and many of those are having the name hidden or not capitalised on as the hotel owners are finding that clients are no longer booking with them.

He's gone bankrupt several times ..................... do you think he'll do that with the US?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Nov 2016 21:46

I see Hillary as the lesser of two evils - in a country the size of the USA these were the only two they could come up with? Tragic!!

Kay????

Kay???? Report 7 Nov 2016 22:15

TD is a mis-mash of what comes out of his mouth and what his brain is thinking,,,he cant string a decent speech together and little I've seen hasnt put a proposal forword thats credible,,,,,all we've heard over hear is him brat whinging,about HC.
she hasnt been any better.

what a crappy way to run to take charge of a country.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 7 Nov 2016 22:30

What a choice!

Dumb and dangerous.

I have watched many, many hours of coverage (upstairs cos OH cannot stand it).

Of course, after the result we will have endless hours of post election analysis.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 7 Nov 2016 22:55

well hope they realise they will have proven groper back in the house by way of Mr C,!!who will know doubt live off their taxes.?

or DT will want a neon top of the WH--*Trumps Home *,,,,just as his name is,,,,,,an old fart. :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Nov 2016 00:33

The only consolation if DT wins is that he will be unable to do many of the things that he wants to do.

The President cannot act alone, almost any action has to be passed by Congress and the Senate before they are enacted. His only way is to issue a Presidential Executive Order ........... but even that can be overruled by Congress

The current Senate and Congress both have a Republican majority, which has been Obama's problem in getting many of his hopes into law. Half of the Senate and Congress are up for re-election this time, and the Republicans are running scared that there will be a kick-down effect from DT in which voters turn against them and vote Democrat or any other candidate or don't vote at all.

If that happens, then DT will be in the same position as Obama.

Even if there is still a Republican majority, he has massive fences to mend in order to get other Republicans to work with him, and many of them do not agree with his suggested policies or his actions. I don't think there has ever been a candidate who has less support from elected members of his/her own party!

DT has got to get them all back on his side.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Nov 2016 01:04

What are his policies? The only ones which make the UK 'sound bites' are

- build a wall at the Mexican border (and make them pay for it)
- ban all Muslims from entering the USA.

Come to that, what are HC's?

Life's too short to go looking, especially as we have no influence on the outcome.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Nov 2016 01:54

DT's "policies" have not really been announced as such, but this is what he wants from his speeches ............

-- wall at the Mexican border, and make them pay for it

-- wall at the Canadian border, and make them pay for it

-- ban all Muslims (and other foreigners) from entering the US as either visitors or immigrants until they can be proved not to be "nasties"

-- widen the 2nd Amendment (ie right to carry guns) ...... everyone who wants to have a gun should be able to have one and carry it wherever they want to. He included cutting out all gun-free zones ...... which includes schools, military bases etc

-- immediately round up and deport all undocumented illegal immigrants .......... mainly Mexican, and make them go to the back of the queue for legal admittance

-- appoint new judges to the Supreme Court and immediately re-open Wade vs Roe (the right of a woman to have an abortion) .......... unfortunately there is only 1 vacancy on the Court vs 8 still with terms. He has 20 judges ready picked .... not clear if he is going to fire those 8 judges, and appoint all 20 ............ both illegal actions :-)

-- immediately cancel Obama's Medical Care program (intended to help those who cannot afford private medical insurance)

-- ban outsourcing to other countries, and force industry to return to the US, so ending unemployment

-- cut taxes, especially for the wealthy. He has suggested cutting $10 trillion in tax revenue, adding it to the national debt, over the next 10 years

-- end the 14th Amendment which grants citizenship to children born in the US. That applies even if both parents wre illegal immigrants

-- get rid of ISIS 'cos he knows better than the military. Bomb all the oilfields and thus take away their financial support.

-- The nuclear weaponry should be employed

-- not so far a policy, but he's continually claimed that the voting process is rigged and illegal. That will apply of course if he loses ........... but if he wins, will he want to change the system?

There's more ........ and he's flipped back and forth constantly over the last 2-3 years on all of them .......................... but I just give up!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Nov 2016 03:46

Having had my dinner, here is a synopsis of HC's policies

They will be very much the same, yet with differences, to Obama's, They do have the same ideologies.

-- strengthening existing policies on crime, including tightening gun laws so there are complete background checks before any gun can be sold, and keeping guns out of the hands of abusers, criminals and mentally; focus on violent crime; strengthen trust between community and police. 43 different items

-- improve access to education, improve access to early education, reduce or remove costs of post-secondary education; increase access to hugh-quality child care. 32 items

-- environment challenges, such as improving Clean Power, solar energy; conservation of lands and wild life; fight international wild life trafficking. 20 items

-- improvements to family life, such as improve access to head Start and early childhood education, guarantee up to 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave. 6 items

-- foreign policy .......... strengthen alliances, never allow Iran to have nuclear weapons, invest in partnerships with other countries, improve aid to US veterans and their families. 8 items

-- changes in government and governance. 10 changes

-- health care improvements ............. including:- invest $2 billion a year in Alzheimer's and related diseases and improvement in services to Alzheimer patients and carers; improve Obama Care (correct name Affordable Care Act); lower costs of medical care and prescription drugs. A total of 32 improvements.

-- Jobs and economy ....... encourage development and improvement of businesses, provide tax relief, raise minimum wage, eform the Tax Code so wealthiest people pay their fair share, improve public transportation, expand and preserve Social Security. Total of 51 different proposals

-- Immigration ........ comprehensive immigration reform legislation leading to full and equal citizenship; continue Obama's lead; close pivate immigration detention centres. 7 proposals

-- Other ........ support LGBT youth and adults in the US and around the world; support for Americans with disabilities; drive down costs of drugs; remove barriers to sustainable home ownership. 29 proposals

-- Science and technology .......... 100% of Americans to have access to high speed affordable broadband by 2020; invest in sc ience and technology research; promote cyber security in the US and overseas

and well done if you ploughed your way through that lot!!

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 8 Nov 2016 05:53

He's as fake as his orange tan.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Nov 2016 08:31

Sylvia - Thank you :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 8 Nov 2016 08:56

It appears to me that Trump has operated a negative campaign while Clinton's is positive.

If it should happen that Trump gets in (heaven forbid), is he really stupid enough to believe that Canada and Mexico will pay for the erection of boundary walls?

I am surprised at the restraint Clinton has shown - to her credit. She has not pushed Trump's tax situation and, although she may have figures to hand (I would have if I were in her position so I believe she will have that information), she has not asked how many immigrants are employed in Trump's various enterprises.

She has also responded to Trump's allegations in a more statesmanlike manner. I would not trust Trump's finger on the trigger at all; he is too quick to rise and hates losing face.

He is also one of those don't-do-as-I-do, do-as-I-say people. He may have sorted out his finances in a manner to avoid tax but it does not look good in a presidential candidate.

While neither is perfect, I believe that HC is the better prospect for the USA and its allies.

Dermot

Dermot Report 8 Nov 2016 09:23

A painful Laurel or Hardy choice for the American electorate.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 8 Nov 2016 10:05

I can hear the bawling now.

Rigged,

:-D :-D :-D.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 8 Nov 2016 10:17

Sylvia - when you see it listed like that...it's scarey.

I was in USA around the time when GW Bush got in for the second time. In a solid Democrat area, discussions were pretty heated then, I can only imagine what it's like now!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Nov 2016 10:24

seems to me Trump's main campaign strategy was to make allegations and fire shots at Hillary

I don't like either of them